Notifications
Clear all

Easy song for beginners-Heart of Gold-Young

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@norway1)
Topic starter  

I'm fairly new to learning the guitar but I'm getting on reasonably well from your site/course-
1. Can you tell me in this song or any other for that matter is it acceptable to get the chord strumming to fit the verse words? as shown in the format with the chord names above the words-with a bit of trial and error not without working it out, I think this sound ok and closer to the original melody or should
the verse be sung to the 'verse chord rhythm'shown?
I appreciate that you encourage experimentation
2.Same question for the chorus.
Thanks

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

norway1,

Not exactly sure what you mean but in some songs the strumming and the words will kind of line up together and the tend to be easy to sing and play ( at least for me) but some songs the melody and the chords don't really line up and in those cases you can't force them to or it would be a train wreck. Those type of songs are very difficult to sing and play.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Check out these threads.

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46395&p=421020&hilit=Heart+of+gold#p421020

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=14019

The rhythm for Heart of Gold was a problem for me too. My former teacher had it as DUDU on each chord. But a D / DU works too, as well as a combination of them.

Em C D G
I want to live, I want to give

Em C D G
I've been a miner for a heart of gold

Em C D G
It's these expressions I never give

Em G D
That keeps me searching for a heart of gold

C A|--3--2--0---| G (1 beat)
And I'm getting old

Em G D
Keep me searching for a heart of gold

C A|--3--2--0---| G (1 beat)
And I'm getting old

The Em in the chorus has the same beats as the intro, either all downstrokes, or DUDU...

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@norway1)
Topic starter  

Thanks Cnev and Minotaur, think that kind of fits with what I'm doing-playing the chords lined up with the words without relying too much on the music measures.-though probably took it too far by trying to put extra beats in to match the syllables-like I said I'm a beginner,-norway1

ReplyQuote