Skip to content
Easy Songs to Work ...

Notifications
Clear all

Easy Songs to Work out by ear(Transcribing)

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I want to begin working songs out by ear but I don't really know where to start. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of easy songs that I can work out by ear. I'm into Classic Rock and newer rock but not any country or anything like that. Thanks in advance. :D

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Try "Bad Moon Rising", "Have You Ever Seen the Rain", or other CCR songs. They're a good place to start.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Anything by T-Rex. Marc Bolan could only sing in E. D'Oh, what a giveaway.

Chuck Berry stuff - lots of 12-bars,

and Status Quo - lots of 3-chord tricks.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Alan about T Rex, I was a big fan and found Marc Bolan's songs pretty easy to figure out. Here is a classic, Mambo Sun. It only has three chords, I'll let you figure them out.

But I tell ya, Marc was an awesome guitar player. Even though this song only has 3 chords, the way he plays them and the accents are awesome. He was a great rhythm guitarist especially. And the solo is super easy, you should be able to figure that out quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENZYv_De0jw

This was one of Marc's great songs, there is even a group that is fairly popular called Mambo Sun named after this song.

There are lots of other easy songs like Can't You See by Marshall Tucker and Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd. These are also three chord songs but sound great.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ohblahitsme)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cool I'll take a look at Marc Bolan. I already did Proud Mary by CCR so I'll look at Bad Moon Rising. Thanks for the suggestions

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Try 'Stand By Me', the chords are on the interweb, but try adding the bass notes into the chords for an improved version.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

"Stand By Me" is a standard I-vi-IV-V7 sequence, isn't it? Ideal for practising your transcribing skills

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@jimatwell)
Eminent Member

Try a few Ramone's tunes if you like their music. They have some pretty basic I-IV-V stuff. I have a horrible ear and am pretty new to guitar and was still able to work out a couple of their tunes. You can then "cheat" and find some online tab to verify.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

A lot of Tom Petty's songs are very basic with 3 or 4 chords too. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tmarius)
Trusted Member

AC/DC too, some songs are obviously harder than others. But good ones to try are Highway to Hell, Back in Black, T.N.T etc

ReplyQuote