Eb Tuning Help

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

First off, I couln't find the search button to try and find the answer to my question. Has this been removed?

Here's my question:

I have a built in tuner for my guitar and the display looks something like this:

^
^
i
i the "i"'s being a down arrow :)

Anyways, if I want to tune my guitar down to Eb which Nirvana uses quite frequently, how do I do this? When my guitar is in standard tuning the '0' lights up by itself. If I want to tune down to Eb do I just need to have the '0' and the first down arrow lit up or just the first arrow, etc?

I hope I didn't confuse anyone :)

Thanks,

Lunarist

RoS
(@ros)
Eminent Member

assuming you have a guitar tuner, not a chromatic one.

advice : go get a chromatic tuner.

its very tideous for normal guitar tuner to tune to Eb.

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

Yea ros is right.. you can get a korg chromatic tuner for around $20bux. However.. Theres lots of free tuners available for your ocmputer.. as long as you have a mic. http://www.aptuner.com is probably one of the better ones out there..

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If you want to tune to Eb from E, you have to consider where E will be in Eb tuning. In standard tuning, it's the open string, but when tuned to Eb, E is at the first fret. Therefore, to tune to Eb, using your guitar's inbuilt tuner, you have to tune the first fret to E.

If you want to use several different tunings, this will generally work, but a chromatic tuner is far easier.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Using a chormatic tuner is definitely easier, no doubt about that, but if you do alternate tunings regularly, you'll find it's really not that hard.

It's just something that takes practice, like anything else. Your guitar has the available notes... just take the time to learn to use 'em.

If you know how to tune one string to another, all you have to do is tune the 6th fret on your 6th string to your 5th string open, and your E is now Eb. Rinse. lather. repeat. Fine tune.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a couple tuners you could try. I haven't installed them to see if they will tune Eb.

MiniTuner

Alex Tabs

joe

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot guys. I will try tuning with my built in tuner and than I will make my way to my local guitar shop and pick up a chromatic tuner.

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek)
Reputable Member

is Eb another way of saying...tune your guitar down half a step?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

in a word

yes

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote