Clear all

Errrr.....complaint, complaint, complaint

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

don't get it. why, why, why...when you practice something for hours on end for days on end you go back to it the next day and it's just like you've never played it before...... :?: :?: :?: :evil: :evil: :shock:

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

You mean it's NOT supposed to work like that????

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ok. NOW i get it. thanks.I'm SUPPOSED to sit here all day, hungry cats meowing up at me, not dressed, place a wreck, totally absorbed in conquering a simple artangement of Yesterday.

Now that I know that, guess I'll go back to it!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You'll find it much easier to master the song if you feed the cats first.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

You'll find it much easier to master the song if you feed the cats first.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
So true! My cat makes me absolutely crazy with his yowling and rubbing around my legs and pawing at me when he is hungry! He is a huge cat and demands feeding three times a day, more if he could get it.

Pearl, feed the cats, and your frustration quotient will be halved. :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Threaten them with a switch to classical guitar with gut strings

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Slap some boots on them, make them dance for their food and you could take it to broadway in 6 months. Classical gutted guitar (LOL Nick) and all and Still pull off Yesterday. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Guitar tip number one:

Feed the cats FIRST!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

One of my cats likes to "help" me play the guitar. The vibrating strings gets her attention. Odd kitty. I digress.

Yeah, learning something one day and botching it up the next is never fun, but it happens. Keep at it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Guitar tip number one:

Feed the cats FIRST!
Now you're catching on! :lol:

Seriously, sometimes I find that after I've had a bad day or two of practice, I'll see a welcome improvement.

With piano I've found that at a certain point in trying to polish a piece, even after I think I know the piece well, I simply must make every possible mistake at least once (certain mistakes have to be made multiple times :evil: ) before I can get past them. When I get frustrated with my slowness at learning guitar I try to remind myself of this. Patience, practice, persistence, etc.......

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I think the brains of guitar players like playing tricks on them.
that stuff happens to me all the time.
what keeps me in the game is finding myself playing something
out of the hat, no idea where it came from, blow me away stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Pearl, I've found that it's almost like an athlete (though I hate the analogy because it hints at competition, which shouldn't be a part of music) that practices and practices for hours a day every day. Thing is, before a big track event, they take a break so they don't 'over-practice.'

Similarly, it seems like hard, constant practice sorta pushes up against the barrier and it gets all stacked up. Pushing harder doesn't accomplish anything but building up this spongy layer that pushes back. Sometimes it's good to really wood-shed it and then lay off for a day or two to let the finger patterns and mental connections form and get reinforced, and then go back and see what happens. I've seen other threads elsewhere where people have said they (for whatever reason) couldn't get to their guitar for a week and when they picked it up again, all these amazing things happened; they were able to easily do stuff they'd been pushing at for weeks, and it came easily.

So maybe you're right on schedule, 'cept you don't know it :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You will never get away from practice. Even bands like the Rolling Stones will take a full month before going on tour just to practice all their songs. And these are songs they wrote and have been playing over 40 years. :shock:

To play a song well you have to play it all the time until it feels easy and natural. And then if you lay off, you will have to practice and refresh that song. You get rusty quick. My band practices every single week, we still practice songs we have been playing for 3 years now. If we don't practice a song for a few weeks we get rusty and it shows.

I agree with DemoEtc, you can practice too much. Sometimes if you try too hard your playing will actually go backwards and you'll play worse. So you just have to keep practicing a song and refreshing it, but don't go overboard. It has to be fun. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mattyfatty27)

Its really weird but its the opposite for me. I find it easier to play the next day :?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hmmmmph... :roll:

:lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2