Notifications
Clear all

ESP MH-50 or Ibanez RG 350 DX?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@r9000)
Topic starter  

I need opinions on purchasing an electric guitar. I'm torn between buying an ESP MH-50 and a slightly used Ibanez RG 350 DX. The difference is that I've played the ESP at a shop today, and I did like it, but I honestly prefer the look of the Ibanez. I can't try the Ibanez because it's listed on Ebay, and none of the music shops near me have any in stock. So basically, has anyone played both of these guitars and can help me make a decision, or perhaps suggest a better option?
My criteria for the guitar are:
Must have a floating trem. bridge.
Must have humbuckers (active, if possible).
Must be a 'super-strat' style or similar (I hate the Les Paul shape).
Must sound good for many different styles of metal with a 'fast' and easily playable neck.

My budget is £400.

Many thanks for your help.

(@alangreen)

It's best if you've played the guitar before buying it, so at the moment the ESP is streets ahead.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@r9000)
Topic starter  

Many thanks for the reply. I have one more question, if that's ok. If I were to buy the ESP from the shop where I played it, it would be about £70 more expensive than if I were to buy it new online. I know guitars can vary even within the same model, but would there be such a significant difference between the two to the point where it would be worth me buying the one from the shop? Or am I fine just getting the same model online?
Many thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That's a tough call. One advantage to buying directly from the shop is that you can usually get the guitar set up to your liking right there before leaving with it. Plus, the shop may have a good warrantee deal that's more than worth the difference in money.

Another advantage is simply being able to talk with the people at the shop anytime you have a question, not only about your guitar but about other gear as well.

Getting the guitar online is perfectly fine, just make absolutely certain that you're covered in case anything should happen to it while it's being shipped.

Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing about your new guitar!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@r9000)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info, dhodge. I think I might end up getting it online, because it's £230 and I am close friends with owners of, and teachers at, another music shop, which will most likely be able to help me get it set up and keep it maintained. (The reason I don't buy a guitar from there is because the only humbucker-using guitars they seem to be able to stock are Epiphone Les Pauls). Not to mention the price leaves me budget for a set-up if need be.
Anyhoo, that just leaves making sure it's covered for damage. Looking at Ebay's returns policy, it seems as long as their listing doesn't say otherwise, I'll be given a full refund in the event that the item's damaged. Looks like I'm buying it from Ebay then. I'll post a picture or something when I get it, if that's the done thing around here.
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@senior90)

In my opinion, I prefer ESP to Ibanez. Because although Ibanez has a better looking, its sound doesn't bring me the deep feeling.
When I play ESP I realized that its sound quite satisfy me a little bit better than the other.

ReplyQuote