Clear all

Finger Position On Fret

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@knanuk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Having just started last week -- I think that my finger position on the frets is not correct - the strings are hitting my fingers about 1/16" from the nail.

Is this correct or am in a wrong position?
Thanks for any responses

old geezer trying to learn the guitar

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, I'm not entirely clear about what you're describing...

I'm guessing that if you were to play this:

E|-0--0---|
B|-2--2---|
G|-0--0---|
D|---------|
A|---------|
E|---------|

That the open strings are coming into contact with the finger fretting the B string on the 2nd fret. You need to be sure that you're putting your fingertip on the center of the string so it doesn't make that annoying ringing sound.

Also, if you were to play somthing like this:

E|-0--0---|
B|-0--0---|
G|-2--2---|
D|---------|
A|---------|
E|---------|

You could fret the string so your fingerip is slightly off center and closer to the D string because you're not strumming it. It'll leave more room between your finger and the B string without muting some other string.

You might also want to consider getting your guitar setup. A nut replacement can spread the strings out a little more and might help with your problem.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I just started playing last week myself. I was having a similiar problem. What I found that I was doing was holding the neck of the guitar too far away from me. This was causing me to not have my left hand on the neck properly, thus I didn't have the reach with my fingers that I needed. Once this was pointed out I made an effort to keep the neck slightly higher and closer, and it has made things much easier.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might have a look at this lesson, Chords 101 with photographs. It might help you psych this out a bit.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

You don't want to feel like you're doing a balancing act, if you feel like your finger is creating a sort of "fulcrum" on top of the fingerboard, you are probably arching your last finger joint too much.

Your fingers should attack the strings perpendicular to the plane of the fingerboard. You shouldn't feel like you're playing on your nails, nor should you feel like you're playing down on the pads of your fingers, it should be sort of the flat part of the tip, if that makes any sense.

Good luck, and practice lots.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@knanuk)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your replies and help.
What I have been doing is crooking my fingers and when I push down on the strings it almost has been going under my nail (painful) - but will have to practice with the pictures that were submitted.
Have been trying to find a teacher, but, am living very rurally and it is very difficult.
Thanks again

old geezer trying to learn the guitar

ReplyQuote