Notifications
Clear all

finger tips are sore

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michal)
Topic starter  

about how long does it usually take for your fingers to develop calluses (i have no idea how that is spelled) so that it does'nt hurt to play ymore? :?:

i hope to get an answer from anyone soon... thnks a bunch :-)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It varies with each individual but usually takes a couple of weeks with practice every day before you start to see some relief. Just make sure you don't over do it and cause blisters.

Look through the Beginners Q&A forum and you will find all sorts of discussions on this topic.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Yeah it will take a month or two, you get them all over again in a new fun way when you start bending and using vibrato. Heres a tip that worked for me, I soak my fingers in either salt water or some type of rubbing acohol. It dries them out and helps the calluses develop faster. I got that one from Eric Clapton.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Hey michal

I 've been religously practising for two hours every day since late November and have fingers like dog paws and they still hurt a little when practising ( I can't play yet ) but I have found they are getting better by the week now .

hey I just posted a answer instead of a question

hooray I m gaining knowledge here

hope that helps you

:D :shock: :shock:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@michal)
Topic starter  

Thanks all of you all that info really helped!!!! :D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I never really developed callouses, but the pads of my fingertips thickened.

Anyway, for me it stopped hurting after three weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I never really developed callouses, but the pads of my fingertips thickened.

Anyway, for me it stopped hurting after three weeks.

That happened to me too actually! Well, waaaay back when. I had callouses - really thick ugly ones - and I kept playing and they wore off and I felt like panicking. You know, like in those horror movies where the guy is looking at himself in the mirror and his face starts to peel off and you're thinking, "okay, that's gonna take more than neosporin to fix!"

But what was left was thick, shiny pads, that were smooth and almost alien looking (like in that other movie I think) and there was no pain. I've long since lost even those because I don't practice like I used to so...I get those old familiar pains and throbs again when I play more than a couple of hours. Especially when you're recording and working out parts, you lose track of time while you're zoning out on trying to find the right thing to play and your fingers tell you to look at the clock. :)

That salt water one is great though!

I also bought my first can of Fingerease (when they were still in the yellow cans) because it mentioned something about lessening the pain in the fingertips. I don't know that it did, but it was cool-feeling because of the gas propellant and made the strings nice and slippery. I always used it after that just because of the slick feeling.

I did used to get blood blisters on my picking fingers when I over did it on the bass though. Man, that was pretty :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@michal)
Topic starter  

um.... yeah, i can paint a pretty picture with that in my head.. :? thanks.. i'm just joking, but yeah that helps hehe :)

ReplyQuote