Notifications
Clear all

Fingerpicking Upstrokes..

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@steppenfreak)
Topic starter  

I play acoustic guitar, and use a downstroke all of the time. I fingerpick too, as I've found it's a lot easier to control the volume of the guitar with me hands than with a pick (and I have to keep quiet :roll: ). I have a plectrum but don't get to use it much due to the noise issue (oh dear) but I'd like to practise upstrokes. How can I do an upstroke whilst fingerpicking (if I can at all)?

***All You Need Is Love***

MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

Upstroke as in a strum? When I fingerpick and combine some strumming, I use my index finger nail as a downstroke and the thumb nail for the upstroke. The finger and thumb are in the same grip as if I'm using a pick.
I don't know if this what you looking for.?

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

GuitarNoise's first podcast is about strumming (part 1). (just found out yesterday)
Here's the link:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/podcasts/podcast-1-basics-of-strumming/
Maybe that will help.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I haven't figured out how to strum well with my fingers, but as for the noise issue, I'd see if you could get a cheap electric guitar - I used to practice with mine unplugged in the middle of the night, and I could strum like crazy without waking up my wife...

ReplyQuote
(@steppenfreak)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies!

And MCH: Thanks very much! That's exactly what I meant. :D

***All You Need Is Love***

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Using finger and thumb picks, one downstrokes with the thumbpick and upstrokes with a fingerpick.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ricochet, is the thumbpick plastic and the fingerpicks metal?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's a popular combination. There are metal thumbpicks and plastic fingerpicks as well.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I suck at fingerpicking but figure, if I'm "fingerpicking," I won't use a pick (or finger picks).

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

??? :roll: well ok I am no expert but do pick and strum with my fingers ... think I use an upstroke on the fingers themselves and a downstroke on the thumb - just because this involves least movement of the hand, enabling me to keep my fingers/thumb on top of the designated strings at all times. Unless strumming.
... and I'm using a combo of fingernail and flesh for all this - yes, I know one is supposed to be using strictly fingernail but think I'm channelling my inner vihuellist lol :roll:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What one is "supposed" to do depends on what style of music one is "supposed" to be playing. :mrgreen:

(And you don't always have to do what you're "supposed" to do.)

ReplyQuote