Notifications
Clear all

fingers hit other strings too often

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tcluca)
Topic starter  

I am a beginner and I am having trouble with finger position. It seems part of my fingers is always creating a "dead string". I have big hands but so do other people. Any recommendations?

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

The best that I can tell you is that it will come in time.

That being said I have small hands and play a guitar with a small nut width. Guitars come in different nut widths - a larger one will give you a bit more room. But I believe every beginner has a problem with sounding clearly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Your problem is not unique, I would say most beginners have the same problem, with that being said I would suggest going slow with you chord changes, this will help with accuracy speed will come later. Also try fretting the notes using the tips of your finger this will take practice try not to let your thumb come up too high over the neck. When making chords use as little pressure as needed to get the notes to play cleanly, a soft touch is much better than a death grip. I've been palying about two years and I still miss chords and mute strings at times, I just keep strumming. It takes a little practice but before you know it, things will be improving.

Best of luck...

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Same here. They say it will go away with practice?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Like others have said, it will come in time.
You will develop calluses that allow you to fret without pressing as hard and flattening out your fingertips.
You will develop better technicss and believe it or not.
As you exercise your fingers they will actually lose weight so to speak and get a bit skinier.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Like others have said, it will come in time.
You will develop better technicss and believe it or not.
As you exercise your fingers they will actually lose weight so to speak and get a bit skinier.

Great! I guess losing a few pounds couldn't hurt!

Homer Simpson quote - "I'm an Obese man living in a fat man's body"

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

The same for me in the beginning but....

...somehow....one day it just stops happening. I can't explain how or why.

It is happening to me again now that I am learning bar chords. It sounds bad but I keep practicing anyway knowing one day that will go away too.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote