Clear all

First Amp Suggestions

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I just started playing the guitar about a month ago. First I bought a Yamaha acoustic, then quickly realized I made a mistake and bought a beginner electric combo, a Squier with a Fender Frontman amp. It's a decent starter package, but the amp is pretty basic. It is fine for clean sound, but doesn't have alot of options. I'm looking for something a little nicer that will give me more of a variety of sounds. I know I don't need need alot at this point, I just want something that I can get more effects with that will keep me interested and playing longer. ANy suggestions?

(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I've heard lots of people say good things about the Roland Cube, or Micro Cube, I forget which.

But, like people here say nearly every time sombody asks: It's entirely up to your taste and you should really just go try some out instead of listening to what we've gotta say. Take your axe down to the guitar shop and play through a bunch of amps to find the one you want. We could make a list of recomendations a mile long, but you should still try everything you can get your hands on and base your decision over that.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

For about $250.00 you can get a BEHRINGER V-tone gmx 212-Its 50watts , 2- 12 inch speakers And is a modeling amp. It's very versatile and can be used for country, blues, rock , metal, and any thing in between. I have had mine for about 6 months with no problems. this amp is better than most amps costing twice as much in my opinion 8) . they have a gmx 2-10 and 1-10 also . check out musicians friend.com, i think they have sound samples.--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey there.. I too am new to guitar. I've been playing about 2 1/2 months now and I got into the same 'rut' your in.

Here's what I did. Instead of going out and buying a new amp I instead got a multi-effects pedal. I ended up with the digi-tech RP100. Paid like one 'C' note for it. It has all the sound(s) I need right now plus it has a lil drum track with multi beat patterns on it and I can change the tempo "speed" of the beat... PLUS I can plug straight into it with my headphones so's to spare the neighbors ears. hahahaha. I considered the V-AMP and others, but I like the drum machine as a modified metronome to practice with and I'm not sorry I made this purchase., its been a great lil tool to play with.

When I get a lil more skilled and better, then I'll go buy a bigger, better amp, but for me right now this is a pretty good set up. Oh yeah, I have a Kustom DFX 16 amp by the way. And no I'm not an employee of Digi or any other music industry company.

My .02 cents.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Really depends on what you're after. I have the GMX212 as well, but if you don't plan on playing with a drummer anytime soon such a loud amp is really not needed. The MicroCube si very nice indeed, has a bunch of effects, varied distortion and is portable, so you can drag it over to your friend's place. If you plan on playing with headphones, a device like the RP will work well. I use the V-amp for that, and use an seperate metronome, but it really depends on how much you can and want to spend. If you are on a very low budget, check out the X V-amp. Around $55, modeling, effects, sounds really nice for what little it costs.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The RP100a looks good, and has a alot of good reviews. The only thing that worries me is many said they don't hold up very well.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

<snip> The RP100a looks good, and has a alot of good reviews. The only thing that worries me is many said they don't hold up very well </snip>

I've read those reviews also, but It wouldn't hold up very well on the road, at a gig, on stage. But we're beginners right? and I'm not gonna be having a GIG anytime soon.

I'd say get it..... you won't be sorry.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@boudreau)
Eminent Member

I just got the Roland Cube 60 last week and love it. Small and compact yet throughs out some great volume with the 12 inch speaker. Has nice effects built in. Basically this was my step up from my fender frontman 15G as well and now I know it was a good choice. Don't think I will need another amp for a while now.

Denis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Roland Cube family is a very good line. Even the Cube 30 can keep up with a drummer for smaller gigs when doing blues and crunch tones. Doing a clean (e.g., famous Jazz Chorus) it's a little shy of drummer volume, but the 60 can probably take one there. And all the Cubes are so dang portable.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

I've just bought a line 6 spider 2 30, puts out some great sounds, lots of features etc, i bought it for £160. There is also the 15 watt version for £115 if you just want a practice amp size.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

what about that vox valvetronix? thats what im planning on getting... i dont know...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

The Vox aren't bad. Just do yourself a favor and compare the sound to a tube amp that's going for $100-$200 more, before you make the final decision.

ReplyQuote