Notifications
Clear all

First Guitar for a New Player

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@zknott)
Topic starter  

After being away from music for 7 years (I played drums and piano through middle school and high school) I've decided that I need to get back into it by leaning to play guitar. As I've been reading articles around the internet I realized I have two questions before I make the purchase:

1. Do I want an electric or acoustic guitar?

I think I already know the answer, I'm interested in strumming and singing along. I'd like to be able to play "popular" music - U2, REM, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Dispach, Dave Matthews, James Taylor, Paul Simon etc. As well as learning proper technique.

2. Which guitar should I buy?

I'd like to keep it under $200 for now if at all possible. Also, when I'm in a store looking at guitars, what is it that I should be looking for?

Thank You in advance!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You seem to like electric and acoustic artists. How about a semi-hollow or hollow electric guitar?

I found only 2 in your price range of $200.

Oscar Schmidt OE30

Oscar Schmidt OE40

I personally do not have any experience with either of these guitars. But they both look to get very good review ratings. And I have seen quite a few people on this site say these are very good guitars, especially for the very reasonable price.

Epiphone and Ibanez also have guitars like this for around $100 more.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

You're in luck.

I happen to own the Oscar Schmidt OE30 semi hollow.

good finish and binding
came with a good set up
grover 18:1 ratio tuners

Overall a nice guitar for the price tag.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@zknott)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the advice so far.

A semi hollow sounds like it could be a good option. Will it be good for both styles, or will I be getting myself into a situation where I have a guitar that's sort of good for everything but not really great for anything? Also, do you think the Oscar Schmidt OE30 would be a good instrument to learn on, or would I be better off starting with something else?

I've been to a couple music stores to browse, but I can't really tell what I should be looking for any advice there would be greatly helpful too.

Thank You

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

The Oscar Schmidt would be a great first guitar. And, a semi hollow gives you a great range of styles to choose from and would fit in with a lot of what you listed.

Other than that find a guitar you like, and can afford and it will keep you playing even if it isn't the greatest. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote