First song to current song

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Kat
(@kat)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

name the first songs you learnt, a few in the middle right up to the current songs you're learning so it can give people an idea of how they are progressing compared to others! i am certainly interested at which song all of you were learning when you were at my level!

(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

My first song? A Horse With No name- Songs For Beginners #1, two chords, easy to change back and forth, followed closely by For What It's Worth, another two-chord Song for Beginners.

What am I working on now, after 4-1/2 months?

A few Bob Dylan Songs- "Visions od Johanna" (not too hard, only 4 chords- A,D,E, E7), and "Joey" (has a few more chords including an F barre- and I also use a barred G before the F)
"American Pie"- All open chords but lots of changes!
"Heaven"- A slow Talking heads tune I like that has Bm in the chorus.
"Ramble On Rose"- A Grateful Dead Tune that has two barre chords- F#m, and Bm.
"Down By the River"- Very easy except for where you transition into the chorus- where there is Bm>Cmaj7 back and forth a few times; I barre both of these, although Cmaj& has an open voicing that can also be used. I use the barre for practice as this is what I am focusing on in my development right now, and the change using the barre forms does not require much movement.

Hope that gives you an idea.

Soon I will also tackle some Jimmy Buffett songs for the benefit of my Parrothead friends.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Funny, I still have the binder with songs I learned from my teacher when I first started. I think this is in the right order:

Blues progression in G (Johnny B. Goode/Sweet home Chicago)
Knockin' on heaven's door--Dylan
Feelin' alright--Cocker
Listen to her heart (I love this song)--Petty
Bad moon risin' (using D-c-G instead of D-a-G)--CCR
Sunshine superman (man I hated that song)
That's alright mama--Elvis
All along the watchtower--(Dylan version
The wall (not even close to the real version)--Floyd
That'll be the day--Holly
For your love--?
Stand by me--King
Bye bye love--?
Face in the crowd--Petty
Hotel California--Eagles
House of the rising sun--Animals
Jammin' (don't like that song)--Marley

So that's it—my 12 guitar lessons resulted in those songs then I quit and taught myself largely from this site.

Here is my list of songs as of today. They are in alphabetical order (not the order in which I learned them).

TITLE ARTIST
(I want to be) Sedated Ramones
All My Lovin' Beatles
American Girl Petty
Any Road Harrison
Bad Moon Rising CCR
Beat on the Brat Ramones
First Cut is the Deepest Stewart
For You Blue Beatles
From Me to You Beatles
Get Back Beatles
Good Things BoDeans
Heart of Gold Young
Homeward Bound Simon
Hungry Heart Springsteen
I Saw You Standing There Beatles
I Shot the Sheriff Marley
I Used To Love Her GNR
I Want to be Sedated Ramones
I Won't Back Down Petty
If I Needed Someone Harrison
I'm Gone Orbison
Imagine Lennon
It's Good to be King Petty
Johnny B Goode Berry
Last Dance with Mary Jane Petty
Last Kiss Pearl Jam
Listen to Her Heart Petty
Love Song Cure
Lyin' Eyes Eagles
Maggie May Stewart
New York Sex Pistols
No Other Baby Beatles
Nowhere Man Beatles
One I Love REM
One of us Prince
Peggy Sue Holly
Pink Houses Mellencamp
Psycho Killer Talking Heads
Rain Beatles
Revolution Beatles
Rockin' in the Free World Young
Running Down a Dream Petty
Spread Your Love (no trace orig.)
Stay with Me Stewart
Submission Sex Pistols
Sugar Mice Beatles
Sympathy for the Devil Stones
Take Me Back (no trace orig.)
That'll be the Day Holly
Train in Vain Clash
Two of Us Beatles Beatles
While My Guitar Weeps Beatles
You Got It Orbison
You Wreck Me Petty

Now I have all this in an Excel spreadsheet listed with columns. I could not get the columns of my level of proficiency (low, medium, high, inactive) but I'll tell you many of these I have not played for awhile (inactive).

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I'd like to expand upon the question just a bit if I may. I know corbind is quite an accomplished bloke who actually plays with others in a band no less 8) , But for some of you others, what exactly defines "play"? Does that mean just playing chords along with a Cd (certainly not trying to suggest that that is not an accomplishment or anything. :D) , or do you have it worked up to a stand alone sing AND play with maybe a few embellishments etc?

I'm just trying find out what level of "play" are we talking about?

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Now I have all this in an Excel spreadsheet listed with columns. I could not get the columns of my level of proficiency (low, medium, high, inactive) but I'll tell you many of these I have not played for awhile (inactive).

Corbind- can you provide details of how you have your repertiore spreadsheet put together? Sounds like a good way to document the songs you know. Like, what all columns do you have for each somg? I might like to put one together myself. Right now I just have two lists in a Word document. The first is songs i know and the second is songs I'm still working on.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Spacedog, I like that word bloke even though I don't know what it means. I'd imagine it's important to spell out what “play” really is. Funny, just three days ago I went down the list of songs and rated myself on how well I play each song with categories of low, medium, and high. I tried to post that in my long post but the stuff got all jumbled so I opted just to list the songs.

Mike, if you email me I'll send you my Excel spreadsheet that has my two-page song listing. You'll get a good idea of how I organized it. Also, you could just typed over my songs and use that spreadsheet. Also, the file contains all but a few of the songs I've played including chords.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Corbind, surely you jest that you've never heard the term “bloke”. But for the record, in case it had a negative connotation I was unaware of, my online dictionary equates it to “fellow”. Primarily a Brittish term. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I started out with Horse with no Name, and some strumming along with REM. I can't play that much songs at the moment, which is a bit shamefull, but if I learn a song, it includes all riffs, fills, solo's and whatever there is to it. SO in this case 'play' means 'good enough to play it in a band with friends':

Muse: Dark Shines, Plug in Baby, Time is running out, Unintended, Bliss
Hendrix: Purple Haze
Jet: Are you gonna be my girl?
Joan Jett: I love rock n roll
Electric Six: Gaybar

Corbind: 'Bloke' is more or less the Brittish equivalent of 'dude'. 'Bloke' can be used in a fancy way 'he's a cool bloke', and in a negative way, eg. when an old lady speaks about that 'weird bloke that is hanging around my appartment'. And by the way, impressive list of songs, which I could play that much songs!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Excellent, I do like that word. I've heard it in movies but never knew what it meant. There is another word that I think I'll just PM because it may be equivalent to one of our worst words.

I'll have to get my estimate of my level of proficiency on those songs in this post. My job is easy. I play rhythm. There are only so many chords in a song. To learn a whole song lead and rhythm is a tremendous amount of work (and patience).

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

..., but if I learn a song, it includes all riffs, fills, solo's and whatever there is to it. SO in this case 'play' means 'good enough to play it in a band with friends':

Good point by Arjen. It has to be performable. Even for just one friend. If you don't play with a band, it's difficult to find the right songs/ arrangements for single guitar. Moreover, for some songs, it's beneficial to learn the whole song through, including all fills, and solos. In order to get the whole feeling of the song. Also, learning a simplified version of the original is a good way of building a repetoire...

My first song was:
Take It Easy (Jackson Browne/Glenn Frey)---->acoustic

A few middle songs:
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away--Beatles--->acoustic
Man on The Moon--R.E.M.-------------------------->acoustic
My, My, Hey, Hey--Neil Young---------------------->acoustic
Heart Of Gold--Neil Young--------------------------->acoustic
Sheryl Crow--My Favourite Mistake---------------->electric

Now:
Californication--Red Hot Chili Peppers------------->electric
(this is a really cool song--relatively simple riffery, relatively easy to sing and play) (although nothing is really easy, is it?)

~ghost~
8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

This post bleeds to have everyone add to the forum about songs in the database. I'd love for all of us to submit what we've learned (chords/words) to that forum to make a database for those who are just getting into it. I just saw some songs I'd like to learn so maybe I'm biased. But, hey, why reinvent the wheel? That's why we're all conversing. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

My first was : "All my Lovin Beatles

I dont consider a middle ground relevant but heres what Im up to now, excluding the monotonous stuff Hal Leonard tossed my way so many years ago....

Little Wing (SRV take)
The Wind cries Mary (Hendrix)
Purple Haze (Hendrix)
Lenny (SRV)
Flake (Jack Johnson)
Inaudible Melodies (JJ)
The F stop Blues (JJ)
Taylor (JJ)
Wonderfull tonight (Solo accoustic Clapton)
Everything from ("Inside wants out by John Mayer")

Jack Johnson always has easy accoustic tunes with singable melodies, any of you old timers not familliar with him should check it out.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Jack Johnson always has easy accoustic tunes with singable melodies, any of you old timers not familliar with him should check it out.

Kido

Bubble Toes has gotten enough airplay on alt, eclectic and AAA stations, that even some of us old timers have heard of JJ.

-G

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

:? Wow, my first songs were from a old Ventures Album yes album not CD and my Uncle gave it to me in 1977 and I learned all the songs on it came with chords and words to each song and Tabs,

Walk don't run

Raunchy ( This song is what George Harrison played for John Lennon when they accepted him into the Beatles.)

Memphis

Tequila

and some others.

Then learned Honky Tonk a Country lead song.

Still have that old Ventures album dates back to the 60's sure brings back memories.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member

1st: Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Poison

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2