Notifications
Clear all

Method Books for Beginners

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tripod)
Topic starter  

I've had my guitar and amp for a while and have played around with it a bit but would now like to get on with learning how to play properly. Naturally a good teacher is a great way to go, but before that I would like to try and get a few of the basics down and in search of the best way to proceed I have looked at numerous beginner method books. Although there are many methods out there, they would seem to fall within two basic groups:

1) Those methods which have you learning two or three notes on each string first and trying some simple tunes (aura lee, etc.), then proceeding to chords (It would seem the Hal Leonard books choose this path).

2) Those methods which promote learning some basic open chords, some strumming patterns and a few easy songs (leaving on a jet plane, etc.), then moving on to learning some notes on strings (Russ Shipton's books and others).

To me the second method listed above would seem the most logical progression. I would appreciate your views as to how someone new to this game is best to proceed. Of course, there are all sorts of variables, such as what do you want to play, how much time do want to spend practicing, etc., but I'm just looking for some general views on this.

Thanks

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The advantage to the first type of book, those that teach notes (Hal Leonard, Mel Bay, etc.) is that sight reading has to start slowly - you can't start out reading anything but slow pieces in the open position. If you've been playing for a while, going back to 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' is a real chore, which is probably why so many guitarists can't read at all.

The disadvantage is that you'll need to know pretty much all the open position notes before you can get into chords.

The advantage to the chord methods is that within a page or two, you're playing things that actually sound like guitar music, which is a lot more fun. The problem is that it's hard to go from having fun to reading music.

In my own teaching, I try to encourage students to read. It's a great skill to have, and if you want to get serious about music study in the future - harmony, theory, arranging, etc. - it's invaluable.

You can structure study so you do both. If I have a rank beginner, we spend a part of the time on the Mel Bay series, and part of the time working on chords. If I have a new student who's more advanced, but can't read, I go with the Berklee series, and spend most of the time working on their style and chops, but 5-10 minutes on reading.

Berklee moves along at a much quicker pace than the others, and doesn't have nearly as much 'background' stuff like explanatory sidebars. That makes it better suited to folks who already play, I think. If you're just starting out, it's a bit too quick a pace, and I'd go with a different series... I've used several, but as I said, I prefer the Mel Bay Modern Method.

It's tough to balance. To play the guitar well, you need to work at it - if a certain aspect bores you out of your mind, you won't work at it. To play the guitar as a musician, you need to work your mind and ears as well as your fingers, and playing just chord progressions won't get you all the way there.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Id go with Mel Bay Modern Method any day. I played the Hal Leonard books when I first started but its like practicing kicking a ball when what you really wanted to do was play soccer. The Modern Method books can be strenuous at times, but it has the most motivational and assertive approach of any of the others. If your willing to focus, proffeciancy is on the way.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@javajark)
Eminent Member

Id go with Mel Bay Modern Method any day. I played the Hal Leonard books when I first started but its like practicing kicking a ball when what you really wanted to do was play soccer. The Modern Method books can be strenuous at times, but it has the most motivational and assertive approach of any of the others. If your willing to focus, proffeciancy is on the way.

Kido

Yes, I totally agree with that!

The bridges that I walk across are weak. Frustrations fill the void that I can’t solely bear.
And I have turned away and searched for answers I can’t understand...

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Mel Bay has some good books.

I've got a really nice chord dictionary. It's called: "The Gig Bag Book of Picture Chords" compiled by Len Vogler. It's got all your chords with multiple voicings for each. Not only does it have chord charts, but it's also got pictures of hand positions. An added bonus is it's bound in those plastic ring dealies so it lays flat on tables, music stands, ect.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote