Notifications
Clear all

Free guitar lessons in person

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@fenderfan79)
Topic starter  

I don't have the money to pay for guitar lessons. I've wanted to play for 20 years. I have a guitar. I have tried the videos, and free apps (my phone has 15). I need hands on instruction. Nothing that I do sounds right. Yes, my guitar is tuned.

(@davidhodge)

Hi and welcome to Guitar Noise.

It's unlikely you're going to be able to find free one-on-one guitar lessons, but you depending on where you live you may be able to find ways to get some one-on-one time with a guitar teacher.

First, if you live in an area that has a community college program, check to see if they might have group classes. Depending on the school, their pricing can work out to be around $10 for an hour's lesson.

Second, some guitar teachers will work on a barter system. I've known some teachers to trade lessons for lawn work, housekeeping, and numerous other everyday chores that keep life running smoothly from week to week. If you have a local music store, they may be able to help connect you with someone who might trade lessons for services.

Another idea is to work out seeing a teacher on an irregular schedule - one paid lesson every two weeks or every month. Not many teachers are willing to do this, but depending on their schedule it might be something they can work out.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@redyama)

Find on open Jam in your area. I'm in the same boat. Mostly self taught, but taken lessons on and off. Can't afford them right now. Really really want to take some right now, but not in the budget.

I've been going to an open Jam for a little over a year, basically a bunch of people sitting in a circle taking turns playing songs. The first several times I went I passed every time it was my turn, then I played a couple of songs with only one or two strums per measure, the 4 down-strums, then a base note and down strums, etc. My rhythm still isn't great, but it has improved dramatically and I usually play 4-5 songs every time I go now. Great people, they put up with my bad timing and really bad singing (which has also improved).

When it's not my turn, I still spend a lot of time trying to follow by watching other people hands with muted strings. (I really should be using my ears, not my eyes) But every time I go, there is a least one "A Ha" moment when I figure out the pattern to a song then I can play along too.

ReplyQuote