Freezing up

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

I've been playing about 11 months now and have been having structured lessons for about 6 months. I'm at a stage where I'm working through songs that I like from popular fake music books. I'm enjoying learning how to read, althought I have a long way to go before I will be able read fluently. The problem I have is when I work on a new song I practice at home I can play it not too bad by the next time that my lesson comes around. Not quite as good as songs I've been playing for a few weeks but my chord changes are usually quite smooth. The problem is as soon as I "present" my new piece to my teacher I go to heck chord changes shabby and start "fretting" (pardon the pun) about my next move. My whole playing is very unrelaxed and it's getting to the stage where I'm getting very angry with myself.

My teacher is very good about it and doesn't press me too much. We will look at another song which I have not practiced and therefore will not be fluent we will talk about various apect of the piece and he will quiz my knowledge about certain aspects. I think he knows I can play I mean after all he has taught me, he also says he always feels under pressure when "performing" and not to worry. The thing is I'm not wanting to be rock star but it is a future ambition to play in front of people even if only once. It's something I've always wanted to do just to see what it's like from the "other side" as I have always enjoyed live music. If I can't even play for my teacher what chance have I got as soon as I know someone is watching or listening I fall to bits.

How do I stop myself freezing up. :cry: :oops: :lol:

-----------------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Take a deep breath and dont worry about it man, these kinds of things take a little time, you'll be fine with it once you've had some more guitar experience under your belt.

Or you can picture everyone in thier underwear.

Maybe playing the song for your friends or relatives would be a good way to learn how to calm down, just remember, most people wont hear the little mistakes you make so you dont have to worry about that, you know the song so you dont need to worry about that either. I like to think about like nobody knows the song I'm playing, and I love it, I'd like to share this beautiful piece with everyone, if you think of it more like a sharing scenerio rather than a testing one the whole thing will go allot smoother.

Hope this helps a little bit, but remember, more experience = more confidence

EDIT: I just read it again and see that you've been playing 11 monthes, so ignore the experience ramble :oops:

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

As far as your teacher, you're not trying to please him. Remember, you're paying him. He's there to please you. Maybe that little mindset switch will help.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey bud.. Dont worry.. all will be ok. Its bee 9 or 10 months for me and I do the same thing with my teacher. I think the problem is that i see him as so good so it makes me a little (A LOT) nervous to show him where I am at. Kind of like taking your shirt off at a pool full of body builders when you've got an extra tub for a belly. But thats another story.

But I can play in front of other people ok. I'm not great.. but I am not nervous and it sounds alot better than when I am with my teacher. Are there others you can play in front of? Could you put up one of those little post it notes looking for another guitar to get together with?

See if there aren't other options for you to get your feet wet in an environment with people who understand where you are at, or with they could be like you and take up and instrument.

If your teacher if any good. I bet he doesnt even sweat it. I think my teacher knows that I play better when he isnt there. He was in your shoes before. Hes just looking for the technical details so he can help you adjust where you need adjustments.

All will be well.. Just keep on truckin along. Someday you'll look back and think you were a bit silly considering how great you'll play then.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Geoo's absolutely right. It will get better. And remember, you're not trying to prove anything to your teacher. You're working on songs with him or her. Everything's in process. It's okay to make a mistake. Remember that, it's okay. Everyone does. Even your teacher. Even bands during rehearsals and performances. Once you give yourself permission to make the mistake or not to play flawlessly, you'll relax and play better. Really.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Have you tried recording yourself playing? Not the same as playing in front of people, but still a sort of pressure situation....cope with one, and you should be able to cope with another.....if you can play OK into a mic, then just imagine your teacher is the mic....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

When I took lessons I had the exact same problem. I'd practice my scales or whatever for the week at home and get them down pretty good. Show up for my lesson and fumble all over the place. I too would get angry with myself because just a half hour earlier while warming up at home I could play it. I would also get like that when someone would ask me to play something for them. I had to stop lessons, but since then I've gotten much better about it. I think the main thing that helped me was having a weekly jam buddy. I quickly got to the point where instead of worrying about what they would think about my playing, I worried more about playing cleanly and doing my part. In other words, I had something else to worry about. I also realized that most guitar players aren't going to make fun of you for mistakes. Most good players remember what it was like in the beginning.

Anyway, my point here is that it will get better and the best way to speed up the process to play for as many people as you can, whether that be a SO, friend, family, or whoever.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Double post :oops: deleted

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote
(@ainet-esharp)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Have you tried recording yourself playing? Not the same as playing in front of people, but still a sort of pressure situation....cope with one, and you should be able to cope with another.....if you can play OK into a mic, then just imagine your teacher is the mic....

:D :D :D

Vic

Hi Vic, thats a very good idea. I have taped myself into a dictataphone just for a laugh the sound qualities not to good. What is the best mic and software to use to record or can I plug in direct. I have 2 electrics and one acoustic with a piezo pickup and output. This way I could burn it to disc so I don't have to play to him. :lol:

-----------------------

And a 1-2-3-4.

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hum, Playing in front of people.

I've never had a guitar teacher but I think I know what your saying. I've only been learning to play about two years now and when I'm alone practicing everything goes great until my wife or son's are around. They don't even have to critisize or praise me and I tend to freeze up and become self-conscious. Probably because I delude myself into thinking they expect great things, when really they are just pleased that I'm having a go

I've played live once to a partying audience at my sister's house and whilst I was very nervous to start with, when you see some of them looking at you and they can't play themselves and they are obviously enjoying what your producing. Well, it was a real shot in the arm and I relaxed and enjoyed my efforts. And, I didn't know most of my audience. It was great and I think it brought my confidence on in leaps and bounds at the time.

Recording yourself is good too because when it goes well and you can hear yourself doing well thats another confidence booster.

In short keep at it and enjoy yourself. Don't get downhearted and you've got all of us on line here at GN as fellow travellers on the rocky guitar journey.

Al the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Good point. I find it harder to record (more pressure IMO) than to play infront of people.

IMO, the only way to really get over this fear is to face it over and over again. Start out by doing stuff like practicing in a public park or something. I guarentee you'll feel like you're making a fool out of yourself a few times :D but once you do you realize it's not a big deal. It's really one of those things, I feel, that you have to face head on. You also have to keep in mind that your hands probably aren't all that warmed up going into a lesson.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

When you got a lesson (which I don't take but sometimes a friend helps me) and you have a period of time to show what you know thats pressure. If your someplace and some one wants you to pick up a guitar and play them something thats also pressure....but if your just doing your practice routine and there's people around then you can maybe break into a song when it hits you as you might when practicing. Thats when I seem to be at my best anyway

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Ain't E#Sharp

First, you are not alone. It is very natural to be a little nervous and jittery when performing in front of other people.

It is something you have to think yourself out of. Never take guitar too seriously. I am not saying you shouldn't always try to do your best, but some people go a little too far and really get upset. So that is what I mean. Remember, one of the reasons we all play guitar or any instrument is because it's fun. Or at least it should be.

So, you have to take a little time to relax and psyche yourself up. Tell yourself you are going to relax and have fun.

The more you perform in front of others, the easier it becomes.

It actually takes practice to learn to relax when performing. Pay attention to yourself. When you feel stress or tension, remind yourself to relax.

And just as it takes practice to learn to play guitar, it also takes practice to learn to perform in front of people. It is important to look confident when you play in front of others. So pay attention to yourself. Look relaxed. Smile. Make guitar playing look easy. This impresses people. Try to look up and look at people when you play instead of looking down at your guitar.

Remember the TV show Happy Days? You have to be "The Fonz" when you play. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Who said the Fonz "EHHHHH"

Really though Wes is right you do have to kind of learn to relax. I've benn taking lessons for about a year now and I still feel pretty "intimidated" when I play in front of my teacher.

And I've jammed with some people on the forum and I also fell very self concious about my playing which I can sometimes feel in my fingers, but I think you just have to play through it.

Try and play in front of as many people as you can and pretty soon yoy won't even think about it.

Now when you play you first "real" gig..that might be another story.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

IMO, the only way to really get over this fear is to face it over and over again. Start out by doing stuff like practicing in a public park or something. I guarentee you'll feel like you're making a fool out of yourself a few times :D but once you do you realize it's not a big deal. It's really one of those things, I feel, that you have to face head on. You also have to keep in mind that your hands probably aren't all that warmed up going into a lesson.

Practicing in a public park, or somewhere outside after your lesson is a great idea. I've done it a few times; there's less pressure, because its not a performance/or test; and it will help to reinforce some of the things you just learned in your lesson.

later,
Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote