Clear all

fret2fret

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@math280)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i recently puchased the fret2fret program and im not understanding it! Does anyone know anything about this? thanks

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It's a scam, mostly. There aren't any shortcuts to learning the fretboard. If the mnemonic helps you that's great, but it's no magical solution. Sorry you got burned. :(

ReplyQuote
(@math280)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

:? I figured !! Thanks for the reply. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

To be honest, IMO. The best way to learn the fret board is to learn and play scales. Practice and repitition is always the best.
There is a free program that may help memorize where the notes are:
http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboardwarrior.html
Download the free version and play around with it.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I agree with Missileman about scales.

I think that the need for beginners to learn the names of all the notes on the fretboard is sometimes overestimated. They're all easy enough to find if you're not in a hurry (i.e. looking for ways to voice a chord).

Can anybody tell us why we should learn the names all over the fretboard? I guess it's handy in a teaching situation if the tutor says something like "you messed up the C#". But, if you don't know which one was meant, it's not hard to ask. It's also handy to work out alternate ways of playing the same melody but, again, until you're pretty good there's not usually much need to do that "on the fly".

You'd have to be pretty good before you can think "darn, broke the E string, now where can I find the same bunch of notes somewhere else", and do that fast enough to keep playing. And if you could do it then it would probably be through familiarity with scale patterns. Or so I'd guess anyway.

The only time I currently need them in a hurry would be to improvise a solo, and even then it's usually more a matter of knowing where the notes in the scale are in relation to each other on the neck, rather than knowing all their names precisely. And there are some parts of the fretboard I'll never use, so why spend time learning the names? I'd rather spend the time on something I'll use right now. :)

I currently know the names right across the first 3 frets (and therefore, with a moment's hesitation, the next couple of frets as well) And I know the names pretty much all the way down the two E strings, and part of the B string. That seems to be enough for now. As the need arises I learn a few more as I go.

I can't imagine anybody offering me money if I can point to 5 F#s in 5 seconds, so why rush it?

Good luck with whatever way you choose to learn though. :D

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@math280)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for your replies ! When i look at tabs and read the lessons im not sure what to do.. I read it over and over and i get sooooo frustrated!!! I have a hard time comprhending what im reading. :)

ReplyQuote