Skip to content
GAS attack - bought...

Notifications
Clear all

GAS attack - bought myself a Birthday Gift... a month early!

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Newbie here with just a few posts. I thought I would share my GAS attack with you all!!

I went into the guitar store convinced I would find a nice used Mexican strat and a little VOX DA5 amp. Well, after playing with several guitars (including strats) at a few stores - I came home with this:

The guitar is an Ibanez Artcore AS73 and the amp is a VOX AD15VT.

They say you don't choose the guitar - it chooses you. That was definitely true in this case - once I held this one I just knew it was the one... Since my birthday is in July I told my wife I would put it away until then - she said "like that's gonna happen".

Now I just need to learn how to play this beautiful instrument!! Any advice on the guitar/amp are much appreciated.

(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Advice? That's easy ---> plug the guitar into the amp and play, OFTEN! It is really that easy (and that hard). You don't mention your level of experience, are you a brand new beginner? The reason I ask, is that it makes a difference on the advice posters will give you.

If you are a complete beginner, check out David Hodge's beginner lessons on this site. Also, consider a local teacher to give you a good start.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Hmmm. A month early, does that mean you get another gift when your birthday really comes? :?

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Pretty much a beginner. I have been taking private lessons on an acoustic for about 6 weeks. I know about nine cords, a few common chord progressions and a few scales at this point. I have been working on strumming with rhythm and making chord changes in time - not easy. I have picked the Eagles Take It Easy as a first song to play and the thread on this site was helpful.

I'll take a look at David's lessons as well. I read through a few of them and they do seem very good.

I really like playing the acoustic but most music I listen to and want to play (classic rock, blues, some harder rock) is electric so I wanted my first guitar purchase to be electric. I rented a strat for a few weeks and loved it. However, this semi-hollow just won my heart when I first played it - just seems more comfortable - and I love the richer sound. Plus - it sounds pretty good unplugged for me to practice without bothering the wife and kids - means more practice time!

I am really looking for recommendations on how to work the amp and guitar together. I intend to play around with it but recommendations always help. Of course I want to get the best clean sound for practice.

Thanks for the encouragement!!

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm. A month early, does that mean you get another gift when your birthday really comes? Confused

I truly hope not - but maybe a little something "from the kids". I dropped hints like "metronome" and "guitar tab books" and "guitar stand" for Fathers Day, though!

As it is, with the guitar, hard case and nicer amp I went over my budget and probably need to sell some camera gear (my other hobby - which has taken a back seat for now) to justify this purchase...

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I should have said - it is my 40th Birthday!! Is this indicative of a mid-life crisis?? At least I didn't buy a corvette!!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very nice guitar, ejwebb! I really like the finish on it! And I love the sound of a hollow body! My best advice would be to play with all the knobs (both on guitar and amp!)! Not only is it fun to do, but it's also educational!

Did you play an acoustic before? If so, you're going to notice a BIG difference in the way an electric handles! You don't have to press as hard on the strings. You'll have to watch your bends because they'll be much easier to do and you could overdo. An acoustic will allow for some little mistakes, but on an electric, everything you do will sound loud and clear and you'll have to finesse your technique a bit in order to not hear those tiny mistakes.

As ColoradoFenderBender said, it would be much easier to give advice if we knew what level you're at, and what, if anything, you've played before.

Have fun with your early birthday present!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You got three posts in in the time it took me to answer once! Darn! You're quick! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Check out Blues You Can Use. Lots of people here have used it to learn the basics of the blues. And, blues is the basis for most rock.

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Great choices - I have almost the same gear myself (AFS85 and Vox AD30VT).
Check out this site for Vox settings:
http://www.valvetronix.net/valvetronix/ad153050100-vt-vth/jukebox_1.html

For the guitar, personally I like to leave the tone controls at 10 and I mostly play the neck pickup. But that is strictly a matter of personal preference. Your preferences will likely vary.

Enjoy!

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Check out Blues You Can Use. Lots of people here have used it to learn the basics of the blues. And, blues is the basis for most rock.
+1 :wink:

Very nice guitar and very good amp! I have a Marshall but a similar Vox is one of my two usual options in my pedal/modeller.

Have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Congrats on the nice new gear! And happy birthday a month early. Look forward to seeing you on the boards. You'll have to let us know how you progress.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I am sure B.B. King will have GAS from that guitar of yours.

Start bending now !

ReplyQuote
(@ejwebb)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, all!!

Great link, Dennis! Exactly what I was looking for to get me started with this amp.

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member

Advice- Hook it up, and play... that simple.

Its Pretty :P I like it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2