Clear all

Genres

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is it better to learn specific genres like funk, blues, rock than specific songs? I recently jammed with some friends and we never really played any specific songs we just jammed on some chord progressions with guys switching up lead. That made me think if I wanted to play well with others I should learn how to play different genres rather than any one specific song. Is this right?

Shibby

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Well, just to plug the other half of GN...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/genres.php

and for you bottom feeders...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=164

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

IMHO, I think learning the basics of LOTS of different genres can help you to grow as a musician. If you only learn and play, for example, country music, then you run into another group of musicians who only play blues, you'll probably be able to pick a little with them, but you'll miss out on actually being able to 'play' with them. I have some friends who have put a band together. They were looking for a keyboard player and a man came out to see if he would fill the bill. He was an excellent keyboard player, but, these guys play everything from classic rock covers to the blues and they even throw in some country (this is Texas, after all) and the keyboard player was into Western Swing, only. Needless to say, the fit wasn't there and the search continued. So, again, IMHO, if that keyboard player hadn't limited himself to one specific (and very narrow) genre, he could potentially have been having the time of his life playing with these guys. I guess that means my response is - Don't limit yourself.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote