Clear all

"good" strumming picking form

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i was watching neil young play live on tv the other night and i noticed that he had very little wrist movement while strumming and playing lead. its not something i ever really thought about before. i dont think that i use alot of wrist but i use some. is that a personal preference or is there a general rule to follow?

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

(@corbind)
Noble Member

Possibly a worthless post, but it's all relative. If you're playing power chords (generally the lowest strings) you won't have too much wrist action. If you're playing a full chord (say G open) you'll likely have a greater wrist (and elbow) motion.

Also asasmith, to clarify the post, how long have you been playing and what type of music to you play. That will provide info to better help you in your goal.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

not sure why its "worthless"?? but maybe you could elaborate why its worthless question to ask

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

He didn't think it was. He was speaking of his own post, his reply to yours.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I play around with form once in a while just to hear the different sounds an effects you can come up with. I know my own personal form is not proper. I understand that I'm supposed to balance the heal of my right hand on the bridge slightly, but I never have liked it. Never comfortable due to most likely a poor sitting posture for guitar. Maybe not. I do find it really hard to put any personality into anything from doing that.

I'm trying to think of an example in a song that calls for it and cannot, but If I need or want to have a totally even and exagerated ringing out of a chord, I will lock my wrist to exagerate that effect. Sounds neat enough. Otherwise, I do personally use a lot of wrist movement, especially on songs like Bob Seger's "Night Moves".

Oh, and +1 on what David said.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Naturally, you would want to have as little hand/wrist/finger movement as possible when you are playing. This is just a matter of efficiency. Obviously, depending on what and how you are playing, it will require more or less movement of the hands. The thing is to eliminate unnecessary hand movement.

So if you are strumming on a downstroke, for instance, you don't need your hand to go way below the strings before reversing direction and coming back up, and vice versa. if you are picking, do it in a way that is most efficient in therms of the upstrokes and downstrokes. Strict alternate picking may or may not be the most efficient depending on wwhat you are doing. It will take practrice and repetition, but I believe it helps your technique to keep in mind efficiency of movement.

Perhaps when you watch a pro like Neil Young, whose hand seems to be harldy moving, this is what you are seeing. The pros will know how to play efficiently, without waste of hand movement.

It's just something to keep in mind while you are practicing. Observe the motions of your hand and ask yourself "Am I making any movements that aren't really necessary or are more exaggerated than they need to be?"

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Or, you could watch Keith Richards and not do anything he does and you'll be right where you should be. :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAJUt1C923Q

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote