Greetings and a question.

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everybody,

*Tips hat and bows* This is my first post here, so first of all HELLOOO :D Like you, I worship the guitar. Im a newb (been playing for 'bout 3 months) and I have a quick question. I have a pretty crappy tool at the moment (a behringer stratocaster imitation) but it gets the job done and has served me well so far. However, a cousin of mine is willing to sell me a REAL strat (Yngwie Malmsteen model!) for 700 smackers!!! But, my uncle - whome has been playing guitar for a while now - says that that particular model isnt good for a beginner. He said that the fretboard isnt good for learning or something like that and its best to pass and save my money. Anyway, im just really psyched that I could get a real artist strat (albeit a used one) for so darn cheap. So, I need to know if I should snatch it up or take my uncles advice and save my money. Thanks in advance dudes...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Take your uncle's advice.

The Malmsteen Strat has a scalloped fretboard. What that means is it isn't flat - between each of the fretwires the fretboard is in a slight "U" shape. When it's played, your finertips don't actually touch the fretboard... they just touch the string enough so the fretwire creates the tone.

To get a good tone from a scalloped board, you must have a good feel for the guitar. Because a beginner's fingertips are usually very soft - not a good base of callus has developed yet - you'll need to press harder than you're supposed to. That means the notes will go sharp as you push past the fret.

In the beginning, you're developing coordination between your mind/fingers/ears - it's that coordination that makes you a musician. After you've developed a good technique and a good ear, that coordination will tell you when you're going too far... but until you develop it, the Yngwie model will just hold back your progress.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nothing to add, just wanted to say Welcome to the Musical Madhouse.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Hey, welcome to GN! :D I just wanted to echo NoteBoat's and your Uncle's advice. I know it sounds like a sweet deal, but that guitar would only hold you back. For the kind of money your willing to spend, you could get a really nice guitar better suited to you. Go to your local guitar store & play everything! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to GN !

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

ya man i dont think the scalloped fretboard is a good idea for a beginner of even an intermediate player i definatly think u should learn to play with pretty well of a regular guitar before messing around with that

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great viewpoint, Noteboat.

Nothing better to add either other than Welcome TO GN!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Voodoo,

Welcome to GN.:lol:

If you don't know what Scallop'd finger board means I have a picture here for you. Basically there are deep valleys carved or sanded or grinded out of the fingerboard between the fret wire so's to "Supposedly" fret the strings easier for ultra fast playing.

I wouldn't recommend you or anyone starting out (Myself included) getting a guitar with or modifying my own guitars for this purpose. If you learn proper technique and practice properly and long enough this "Cheat" isn't necessary and in fact it will ruin the value of your guitar and even your playing technique and ability.

Think about it, the greats, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Hendrix etc, etc, didn't use the "Scalloped" necks to rise to greatness. They used good ol woodshedding (ie Practice for 1000's of hours) mixed with musical genious (or mind altering substances) with a dash a luck to rise to there supreme being-ness.

Pass on the Yngwie Guitar save your money, maybe go have yours Setup by a pro, get the frets leveled and dressed. It WILL certainly play better than it does now.

Picture:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Much Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just save my dough for now. Good thing I asked about it here before I went off and got it! That would have been a huge mistake. Thanks again for your help.

Seeya

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote