Clear all

groovy fingertips

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Do the groves in ones fingertips ever go away? I think I may be gaining some ground in changing chords but the groves seem to hinder that progress. The move to the next chord seems to want fit snuggly in the grove and I can't always promise thats where the tips are going to land, so it ends up sliding on the string. Between that and just being tense alot of the time its making it difficult. I got calluses but the groves are still there

(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

If you file your calluses lightly a few times a month the groves will go away.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, a few swipes with a metal nail file will do I guess?.....

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

The ones I use are some my wife had in a pedicure kit she got for Christmas. They were a thick plastic base coated with a very fine sandpaper, used for sanding the calouses on your feet. Works very nice

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

ok, I'll make a few passes over the tips with a file...maybe this is also a good time to crack that safe I been eyeing :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Don't worry about it. (I was going to say "don't fret" but thought better of it. :twisted: ).
I've had grooves for years. They won't interfere at all with your playing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

As a beginner I find that they do interfere. They get as deep as the bass strings and it makes it harder to keep the thinner strings pushed down firmly. Although I noticed that the calluses do get flatter if you take a break every few days.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking that too....break a few days to let them fill in a little, it will be tough i'm getting addicted

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I played about 4 hours of 12 string yesterday. I had two grooves per finger.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I just call mine "my permanent string grooves"! LOL!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I was thinking that too....break a few days to let them fill in a little, it will be tough i'm getting addicted

Turns out that's not a very good idea either. I didn't have time for a few days last week and my calluses healed a little bit. Today I tried to play, and it hurts :).. You know I think we should try to move our fingers around a little bit to alternate where the grooves are going to form :P

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

might i say the best thing to do with your fingers is nothing

the worst thing is to pick them

they will eventually become better but playing with them will not help

as for ( sanding them or filling ) that is ok if they are really tough and old

but best advise is leave them alone

cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

i call it calluse maintenance .... there is a great tool out there its a nail buffer ...u use then to buff acrylic nails..it lis a block of foam with three emory paper sides of different grits...heaver med light grits.. and they work great for keeping your calluses groomed and your nails smooth. i manicure my calluses to keep them just on the tips of my fingers with the buffer ..and yes they do peel . i have no problem peeling off the tops when they start to come off...the grooves in the fingers are permanate for me but with such small area for my calluse its a prefect fit for the strings.....Play 12 string too and the double calluses are cute lol.....

hope it helps

Joyce

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

the grooves in the fingers are permanate for me but with such small area for my calluse its a prefect fit for the strings.....Play 12 string too and the double calluses are cute lol.....
hope it helps
Joyce

Yeah, I play six and twelve string guitars and just began with mandolin (which consists of four pairs of strings at about the same distance apart as are the strings on a twelve, but, since the frets are SO close together you have to fret them with different parts of your fingers)......... I get different grooves from the different instruments!! So, I've got like four permanent string groove things going...... one set of singles from the six strings........... one set of doubles from the twelve string.......... and, now, a whole new, different set of doubles from the mandolin!!! AND, now that I've been using quite a few barre chords, I'm beginning to get "ruts" going all the way down the thumb side of my index finger which are now beginning to become evident on about half of the inside of my index finger as well!!!! The things we have to put up with to play music! I swear! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pitney2000)
Eminent Member

hahahaha yep ... im gonna get a dobro soon ...maybe you should start a little slide playing to give your grooves a reat ..........lol

Just Groovinnn
joyce

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2