Clear all

Easiest way to play standing up?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

Is there an easy way to play standing up? I've been learning sitting down, but if I want to try playing standing up, my thumb twists and I can't move my fingers very well. I usually play in the classical thumb on the back of the neck position.,

Thanks!

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you like the thumb-behind feel, then wear your guitar higher up on the strap. If you want to have it low slung, your thumb might occasionaly slip over the edge of the fretboard. That's why guys who wear it low angle the neck up toward their face when they're doing a part that requires precision. Either way, when you're home, try just wearing the guitar and walking around the house holding the neck - not really playing anything; you'll get a better feel of it against your body that way, until it becomes second nature.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Quite a few people end up wearing it lower while standing. It's often easier, plus it looks cooler. Like Demo says, try angling the neck up so the headstock is around shoulder level. That'll help your reach quite a bit. And of course, start playing standing up more often.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'd say position it with the strap so that it hangs where you're used to holding it while sitting.
And the transition from sitting to standing will come relatively easily once you're comfortable with the chords and the changes.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Trag
(@trag)
Topic starter  

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Call me weird, but playing like a bass player is pretty easy for me. But it makes me look like an idiot :roll: whuteva....

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'd say position it with the strap so that it hangs where you're used to holding it while sitting.
And the transition from sitting to standing will come relatively easily once you're comfortable with the chords and the changes.

That is PRECISELY what I found.......... I started playing sitting down..... finally got a strap and decided to try standing but found that the guitar was in an entirely different position than it was when I was sitting. So, there was that moment of "transition" while I had to figure out the best way to make the same chords at a different angle). Sitting (on my couch, which was actually too short to be playing on) put the guitar up higher on my body, thereby making the neck higher by default. So, I went out and bought a barstool. Strapped on my guitar and sat on the stool and now the guitar is at the exact same height and angle both sitting (on my stool) and standing. I now consistently play with my guitar strapped on (whether sitting or standing).

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote