Clear all

Grossly out of tune guitar

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Need a possible explanation here. As i am a Over the road truck driver, I managed to take my guitar with me to do some practicing. First time I stopped to rest, i practiced a little, it sounded fine. After about 6 more hours of driving i stopped again and practiced, and let me tell you, that thing was so grossly out of tune it was almost laughable !!

could the constant vibration of the truck make the guitar go out of tune?

SLODOGG62

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it could be a factor, but changes of temperature are a lot bigger one.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it could be a factor, but changes of temperature are a lot bigger one.

Thanks Ricochet, i never thought about that temp change. Im always constantly have to change the temp inside the truck, it never seems to stay where i want it, so its never really the same temperature all the time.

So that probably does explain it. Here at the house it doesnt go out of tune like it does in the truck ! DOH !! lol

THANKS AGAIN !

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i used to drive over the road, took my guitar with me also, an elcheapo, cause i would bang it around alot, i had to tune alot because of that, i kinda miss being over the road 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I think Ricochet hit the nail on the head. I have always noticed that my guitars sharpen a bit overnight in my music room which is in a cooler downstairs part of the house, which is kept even cooler at night. I figure the lower room temp makes the strings contract a bit Next day when I start to play I always warm the strings up a bit by playing and bringing the room temp up to normal. I then have to retune. Seems to do the job.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

good tuning practice....you'l be a pro-tuner soon :lol: 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

good tuning practice....you'l be a pro-tuner soon :lol: 8)

Yeah, and wouldnt you know it, id left my electronic tuner behind at the house too !

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Good ear tuning practice, then.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

As was mentioned before, probably the changes in temperature, and to a lesser extent humidity and vibration. Maybe one of those guitars made of HPL or some other non-wood would be less apt to lose their tuning. I've got a Martin LXM and it really is resistant to changes in weather ('course it don't sound as good as wood).

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Good ear tuning practice, then.

Yeah, thats what i need to work on next, errrrrrrrrr, maybe i should take lessons first ! LOL

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

Yeah, and wouldnt you know it, id left my electronic tuner behind at the house too !

I hate those moments.

ReplyQuote