Clear all

Guitar Care?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lucky419)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm about to get a good acoustic guitar, at least it sounds really good to me. But I'm not sure what, if anything I should get with it. By get with it I mean should I buy a case so I can keep the dust off of it or does it matter? Anything else I may need? Any help would be much appreciated :)

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

A humidifyer is a good idea. I use a Kyser soundhole humidifyer which can be used in dry conditions to bring the humidity up to where it should be and also in humid condition to help with excess humidity. Either condition can adversely affect your guitar. Mine was about $12 IIRC.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

It makes sense to buy a hard-shell case and keep the guitar in it when you're not playing. It also makes the humidifier's job easier.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The Taylor website suggests that keeping a guitar in the case should be enough to protect it from most humidity problems unless you live in a climate that's either extremely arid or extremely damp. The question about humidification came up recently and there was a discussion about problems that come from overusing humidifiers. I've never used one.

Check this thread:

Humidification questions.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@lucky419)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm gonna just get a case for it and not worry about anything else :)

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I agree that over-humdification is not good either. I only use mine in the summer as air conditioning is absolutely necessary in my studio and I rarely keep my guitar in it's case - I pick it up too often throughout the day.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Get the hard case and keep it in it when your not playing. Get a lint free cloth to wipe it down after playing, diapers work good, or you can get one of those treated cloths at a guitar store. If it has a gloss finish you might want to get some polish for it. Don't use polish if it has a matte finish.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote