Notifications
Clear all

guitar choice for weak hand

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@16mmcamera)
Topic starter  

I love the electric guitar but I struggle to play and learn. That's because I have neurological disease in my right hand and arm that results in wekness and cramping and shaking. Left hand/arm is O.K. Somebody suggested I get a smaller guitar like maybe a Fender Mustang with light strings. Anybody have a suggestion for a guitar for a person with a weak,twitching cramping right hand and arm? Andy

(@alangreen)

So, you're going to be picking with the left hand and fretting with the right - did I get that right?

I would have thought anything with light strings and a fairly low action would probably fit the bill. Get something with a fast neck.

And think about using an open tuning so if you suddenly find you can't grip the neck you can grab a slide and still keep the harmonies ticking over.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Good advice (^)...I helped a kid through my Rotary mentoring that's got CP down his right side with the same exact problem. But he's cool with it now and actually starting to sound pretty good. The whole thing is practise/practise/practise. Sure, you have an extra step or two...but...so what! You've found a great guitar-oriented site and there's a wealth of experience right here for you to lean on. Go for it, dude!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Completely agree. You have a weak arm, so what. I can think of a dozen talents that turned something of a set-back into a completely unique style. Don't let the limitations you think you might have now dictate what guitar you choose. Gets whatever guitar inspires the kind of music you want to make and make it work for you. A guitar is just a tool.

ReplyQuote