Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Identification??

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@thailey08)
Topic starter  

I recently purchased 2 guitars from a thrift store for $6 and was wanting a little more information about them. Things such as: History/Rarity/Value?? I would really appreciate any and all responses!!

The first guitar has a sticker inside that says Hofner Anno, but that is the only thing it has. I have searched the guitar thoroughly!! I have been told it is a classical guitar. It is slightly smaller than a regular size acoustical guitar. The sound is awesome and it is in excellent condition.
See pics--
/
/
/

That was a pretty easy one compared the next one...I have been told this is a "parlor guitar" from the 50's. It has absolutely no markings or stickers on it. And I cannot find any pictures on the web that is comparable. I think it is in fair condition given its apparent age.
See pics--
/
/
/

Again, thank you to all who respond!!

-Travis

(@zincberg)
Eminent Member

hard to tell... but here is what i would put my m,oney on.

The first guitar is an 80's hofner. That I am sure of. I think it is probably one of their HC or HS model guitars.
It looks like maybe an HC20 which was the lower end of their market.
This guitar is not worth anything to a collector, nor are they rare. As a classical guitar... they can be ok, put a nice set of medium tension hannabach strings (or Augustine...or savarez).. and it will have a bright response. It is a common 80's classical guitar... but it is german made, so its value is maybe $100ish... would need to see that the neck is straight.

The second is, at BEST a guess. It is DEFINITELY a parlor guitar. Im hedging a bet that it is a "strad" model Parlor, made by "KAY". Its year of manufacture is probably 1955. heres why I lean this way...
1. The strad has a plastic badge stuck onto the headstock which had a nasty habit of wearing/falling off..yours has no markings on the headstock..
2. The strad had that exact style of tailpiece, with that ridge around the edge.
3. The Kay company made many parlor guitars with "block" style fret markers.

Now heres the problem with my guess...
I have never seen a strad, with that tailpiece...AND block markers. So it may just be another "Kay" style parlor.

Value? What you have to remember is that they made bad guitars in every decade, so just because a guitar is old, doesnt make it good. They are a plywood guitar... and sound woeful unless you are an awesome slide player (lol). Value $50-$300. (closer to $50 if its origin is non confirmable)

So... not a bad profit margin for you there!!! well done if you sell them. If you are going to play them... you could do a LOT worse than these guitars!!

Zinc

ReplyQuote
(@youhar)

You hit the nail on the head... I'm curious to find out what type it really is

ReplyQuote