Guitar shops in Charlotte, NC?

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,
Just moved to Charlotte,NC. I was planning to get my guitar setup and may be look at buying an acoustic guitar as well. So I'm looking for a good shop where i can get a setup done and also shop for regular stuff like strings, picks etc. There is a Sam Ash near by but never tried the chains. I'm a novice and don't really know anyone who plays the guitar so would be nice to shop at a place where there is a recognizable face everytime you walk in who can help out. I'm also planning to take up lessons when i buy a car so if you know of anyone who's good let me know. Thanks.

MMM

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Mac, If it's anything like Raleigh, good luck. We've got Guitar Center and Sam Ash and that about sums it up. Oh, we have one local shop downtown, but the logistics of getting to it and the parking are a nightmare. Add to it, I'm not thrilled with the staff all that much. I dunno, just rubbed me the wrong way both times I went in there.

We've got one member that moved to Conneticut that WAS in Charlotte. Anyone remember who that was? You could PM him for some intel. Otherwise, hit a open-mic night close by and ask some of the them.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've got an offline request out to a player friend of mine who lives in Charlotte about shops he'd recommend. When I hear back from him I'll pass it along.

He'd be a killer guy to learn from if you wanted to learn fun but unconventional fingerstyle acoustic stuff, but he'd never teach you how to play cover songs. I don't think he offers lessons anyway, but he does have a book aimed at teaching his methods to intermediate and advanced guitarists who already know their way around the instrument. I've just gotten a copy of his latest edition and am working with it. Great fun stuff! You really ought to get to know him if you're going to be in that area. His website: http://freestyleguitar.com/ (You've got to scroll past a bunch of clickthroughs to sponsor links to get to the real stuff on his site.) Watch to see when he's playing at a club over there and go see him. You'll love it!
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've got an offline request out to a player friend of mine who lives in Charlotte about shops he'd recommend. When I hear back from him I'll pass it along.

He'd be a killer guy to learn from if you wanted to learn fun but unconventional fingerstyle acoustic stuff, but he'd never teach you how to play cover songs. I don't think he offers lessons anyway, but he does have a book aimed at teaching his methods to intermediate and advanced guitarists who already know their way around the instrument. I've just gotten a copy of his latest edition and am working with it. Great fun stuff! You really ought to get to know him if you're going to be in that area. His website: http://freestyleguitar.com/ (You've got to scroll past a bunch of clickthroughs to sponsor links to get to the real stuff on his site.) Watch to see when he's playing at a club over there and go see him. You'll love it!
:D
Thanks much Ricochet. His videos are cool, but doubt i'm even remotely ready for such stuff yet. Will try to go watch him though. Thanks again. :D

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Mac, If it's anything like Raleigh, good luck. We've got Guitar Center and Sam Ash and that about sums it up. Oh, we have one local shop downtown, but the logistics of getting to it and the parking are a nightmare. Add to it, I'm not thrilled with the staff all that much. I dunno, just rubbed me the wrong way both times I went in there.

We've got one member that moved to Conneticut that WAS in Charlotte. Anyone remember who that was? You could PM him for some intel. Otherwise, hit a open-mic night close by and ask some of the them.
I checked online and found a few shops other than GC and Sam Ash. But just not sure if they are good. Checking at open-mics is a good idea. Thanks. :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

mac,

There's a Guitar Center on Rt 74 they can do the setup.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Mac,

Right down the street from the Guitar Center in Charlotte there's guitar teacher that I had for awhile when I was down there. Nice guy good player. He'll help you hook up with other musicians too.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Mac,

Right down the street from the Guitar Center in Charlotte there's guitar teacher that I had for awhile when I was down there. Nice guy good player. He'll help you hook up with other musicians too.
Do you remember his name? Any contact info?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'll have to think about it for a few but as you go south(might be considered east) out of Charlotte on 74 Guitar Center is on your right and the guitar guy is just up the street on the other side. He's in a little plaza up near the McD's. If you get up to MCD you went to far. He 's in the end of the building.

If you go into GC they can probably tell you he used to have his cards out on the counter where you buy strings and stuff. Unfortunately since I moved half of my stuff is packed away and I can't get at it to check.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to think about it for a few but as you go south(might be considered east) out of Charlotte on 74 Guitar Center is on your right and the guitar guy is just up the street on the other side. He's in a little plaza up near the McD's. If you get up to MCD you went to far. He 's in the end of the building.

If you go into GC they can probably tell you he used to have his cards out on the counter where you buy strings and stuff. Unfortunately since I moved half of my stuff is packed away and I can't get at it to check.
No Problem. I'll check at GC. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I believe it was called Streetwise Guiar or something very similar.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I believe it was called Streetwise Guiar or something very similar.
Found a few listings on Yellow Pages for Streetwise Guitar, the address seems pretty close to the Guitar Center address as well. The contact i could find out was Karl Mokal. Thanks much Cnev.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I never did get an answer back from my friend about Charlotte guitar shops. Bet he forgot. He sent me a nice pic of a seedy old Johnson City, Tennessee bar named Nappy's I hadn't thought about for a long time. :lol:

(Nice to know the old historic site's still there.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That's him his name is Karl. Less than a quarter mile up the street from GC on the other side of the street. I'm drawing a blank as to the name for Rt 74 it's really long and goes by the stadium too. I used to have an apartment down the street from GC. I used to spent almost every Saturday in that place.

You can have GC do the setup but I think Karl does that also and he's probably cheaper than GC. You can ask anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm drawing a blank as to the name for Rt 74 it's really long and goes by the stadium too. I used to have an apartment down the street from GC. I used to spent almost every Saturday in that place.
That'd be Independence Boulevard.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2