Clear all

Guitar size questions

18 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm going on vacation here in a few months, and am trying to decide between 1/2, 3/4, or Travel guitar. I'm not looking to break the bank, in fact $150 will really be pushing it.

I've seen some Luna travellers on eBay for about $130 w/Free Shipping, but I've seen some 3/4 size guitars for like $100.

Is there a big difference in feel or something?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

I don't know of any good travel guitars in that price range, but if you can get a traveller at that range Id grab it, its about as good as you are going to get.

Personally I have 2 travel guitar's...a Breedlove Passport, and a G# from Norway. Both are worth way more.

If I were advising you, I'd suggest that you save up till you have more money, if you cant afford more than 150, because then what you walk away with in quality and satisfaction is worth far more than just going cheap and expecting some good results.

There isn't near the commitment to quality or enjoyment on a cheap guitar as something like a Baby Taylor for example...night and day. A cheap guitar is made so that you'll buy it, not so that you'll enjoy it and get very far on it, and that starts from the earliest design stages.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor
Online Guitar School for Advanced Players
http://rnbacademy.com

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Im not looking for a big investment, this guitar will be a guitar to take on vacation and if it doesnt fit on the way back, leave it.

But tgere is a difference in price when talking travel vs. 3/4 and 1/2 so thats why the question, not quality, this guitar will be sold after I get back from vacation most likely.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Im not looking for a big investment, this guitar will be a guitar to take on vacation and if it doesnt fit on the way back, leave it.

But tgere is a difference in price when talking travel vs. 3/4 and 1/2 so thats why the question, not quality, this guitar will be sold after I get back from vacation most likely.
Given all the ones Ive tried at that price point then, I'd suggest the Traveller over the Luna, but ever since Dean took over Luna (I first played them at the NAMM show in 2006 when they were just trying to break into the market, and I felt they were marginal) Luna's these days, may not be that bad. I don't run into a lot of problems with Dean's in general, so maybe their quality has improved, but I haven't played Luna since they went over to Dean. I'd say its a toss up - get whatever of the two are the least expensive.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmm....didn't know that, thats some good info there. Thanks man.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK, well not knowing the size of your hands, I have to say this.... Ive played bolth my daughters 1/2 size accustic, and 3/4 electric... MAN that 3/4 is a LOT easer to play for me!!!!!!!!! Wile I can play the 1/2.... its pretty cramped!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I have seen a Martin backpacker used for around $150, but it wasn't well looked after, scratches on the body mostly.

There's always something like this. Seems to have good reviews, but I don't have any first hand experience.

God luck with your search.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks. I'm not a big fan of the backpacker or the Washburn, I don't like the feel.

I think I'm going to end up going with a Luna unless I can find something around the price that's better when it comes time to buy. Rondo used to carry a travel guitar, but I can't seem to find it.

ReplyQuote
(@sean0913)
Trusted Member

Hey thanks. I'm not a big fan of the backpacker or the Washburn, I don't like the feel.

I think I'm going to end up going with a Luna unless I can find something around the price that's better when it comes time to buy. Rondo used to carry a travel guitar, but I can't seem to find it.

The one thing you want to keep in mind, is the intent of the instrument. If its made as a child size smaller guitar more times than not they aren't voiced and are seen as little more than toys. You can get tiny guitars all day long that sound terrible, and that is because they arent selling anything more than the illusion of someone thinking they are "playing" guitar. No thought to even tuning or intonation involved. Pieces of wood and strings.

A travel-guitar is another story, there is a lot more intent to the function of this instrument and voicing is something that is a part of the engineering and design process.

Sean

Guitar Instructor/Mentor

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I understand that. But say an Epiphone is $99, the Epiphone travel guitar is $220.

The Yamaha Jr1 is $140, or a 3/4 Squire MA1 is $99.

I know the difference between a toy and a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Joe. I have to ask why you want a smaller size guitar. skip the bother and find a beater acoustic that is playable, but does not matter if it is wrecked. now if regular size guitar is too large to lug around then nevermind.
I bring my uke when I camp or travel. four strings is plenty.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

The regular size is too large. I would be bringing it so my nephew and I could jam a bit. Hes been learning tolay a little. I ended up bringing my uke last year :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

in that case....the martin backpacker, although well made and takes a beating, I think is uncomfortable to play. it slides off my lap all the time. the balance is weird and it is really narrow. I haven't played any that are half or three quarter size.
what about a parlor guitar. they are smaller, no? used on ebay?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'll check on the parlor, and I agree on the Martin. I have played 3/4 and they are very comfortable. Half size Im not sure though.

Ive got a couple months to mess around so we'll see what I come up with. I've played a Luna safaru and it does well.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Good time to take up the mandolin :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2