Guitar WAY out of t...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar WAY out of tune all of a sudden?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

What would cause an electric guitar to go WAY out of tune all of a sudden? Plus it is out of tune on the high side? Ever since I got my new Dean Markley's Blue Steel strings my guitar has HARDLY gone out of tune in the last 2 weeks. MAYBE a tweak on a single string but that's it. Today I went to tune my guitar and ALL the strings were WAY off and all HIGH which would eliminate stretching?

At first I thought it was my tuner so I double checked it with the software tuner that came with Guitar Port. It was still WAY off? Some of the strings were even tuned to different notes! For instance the low E string was tuned to an F? I also thought maybe it was the humidity but that would cause them to stretch and not get tighter right?

Very weird!!

Thanks

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Has there been a major change in the weather?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

There has been a gradual change...the only thing I can think of is that I had my A/C going all day yesterday...I believe the cold would make the strings tighten...

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I've had this happen when little hands have been near the guitar :)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sometimes without thinking, i'll set my guitar on the ground, which messes up the tuning pegs position. i've also woken up from bouts of extreme drinking with my guitar totally out of tune.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

When I wake up from bouts of extreme drinking, it's my body that's totally out of tune :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well let's see:

• I don't have any "little hands" to go near the guitar
  • I put my guitars on stands
  • I wasn't drinking last night (for a change!)
  • So either it was the A/C or I have demons in my apartment that like to throw guitars out of tune! :twisted:

Thanks

ReplyQuote
     Nils
    (@nils)
    Famed Member

Mike. My guess is that the AC is what did it. Especially if you have not had it on much until yesterday. a 3 or 4 degree change can do it. I have the AC set in my house to raise 4 degrees during week days and if I pick up a guitar mid day it is more than likely to be out of tune than it will be in the evening after the AC kicked back in.

There is a couple of other possibilities but not likely. 1) The truss rod settled or 2) The bridge moved.

Tune it and see if it does it again overnight. If so then just check through the setup process for neck relief, action and intonation.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
    DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
    (@Anonymous)

I really don't know anything about those things nils except tuning. I really don't want to screw anything up by messing with the body. I can't afford a luthier if I screw something up until I go back to work in September...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
     Nils
    (@nils)
    Famed Member

I really don't know anything about those things nils except tuning. I really don't want to screw anything up by messing with the body. I can't afford a luthier if I screw something up until I go back to work in September...

Thanks
    Mike, you don't have to adjust anything just measure them (steps on my site) so we can get a feel for the overall setup IF it goes out of whack again.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
    DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
    (@Anonymous)

I would measure it but I don't seem to have a ruler handy (they're all at work!)...but it looks easy enough.

On a side note...I would like to adust the action a bit lower. Is that a lot of work or fairly simple? I know I won't do it without a ruler!!

Thanks

ReplyQuote
    (@kalle_in_sweden)
    Prominent Member

I had the same thing happend to my Tanglewood yesterday.
    Took it of the wall hanger and started to play with a song on my computer.
    Guitar sounded of tune so I checked with the electronic tuner.
    All strings where off tune and high, but they where fairly in tune with each other.
    Must be the weather as we have had increased humidity (Rh = 80-90%) the latest days !

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
    Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
    Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
    http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
    (@pearlthekat)
    Noble Member

what about pets? any pets in the apartment?

ReplyQuote
    (@Anonymous)

what about pets? any pets in the apartment?

I have 3 aquariums....MMMMM...maybe my Betta has a sense of humor? :? :lol: Or my my African Dwarf Frogs prefer to play a few octaves higher? :? :lol:

ReplyQuote
    (@chris-c)
    Famed Member

I think Kalle may well have the answer - humidity.

Some air conditioners can make quite a difference to the moisture content in the air, which can have an effect on expansion and contraction of woods.

When I used to build tables with solid wooden tops I always gave the tops the ability to 'float' on the base. If you don't allow some room for expansion they can develop cracks when the air dries out.

EDIT: And I'm afraid you do have demons, or more accurately goblins lurking around your place - we all do. Their jobs include hiding one sock when you do a wash, moving your wallet, syphoning a few gallons of petrol out of your car every now and then, randomly re-tuning your guitar, drinking the last of the milk, swapping today's newspaper with the one you'd put aside to light the fire, etc.

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 2