Clear all

half step down tuning...

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@live2play-play2live)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ive been wanting to learna few songs like "through the glass" by stone sour, but hte require yo to tune half a step down..i know you could avoid this but i would prefer to just tune to the correct tuning.
is there any special trick to know how to tune down half a step?...I learned how to tune bye strumming ur E and A string while fretting the 5th fret on the E and so on down the strings...can i just fret a different fret and tune that way?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, the first thing you need to do is buy an electronic tuner! Something like a Korg GA-30 - where you can press a button labelled "FLAT" and it'll let you tune to Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb.

But if you insist on doing it manually - oh well, here goes. To get Eb on the bottom E string, you'll need to tune it down so that the 6th fret of the E string will play an A note, same as the open A string. Then tune the A string to the fifth fret of the now retuned Eb string, then tune the D string to the fifth fret of the now retuned Ab string, then the G string to the 5th fret of the Db string, then the B string to the fourth fret of the Gb string, then the E string to the fifth fret of the Bb string.

Or you could buy a tuner.......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@live2play-play2live)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thing is i would spring for a tuner...but...im a kid and im broke. been raing ing down in south texas for a long time so i cant get out there and mow lawns like usual so im trying to save up all my money for l8r.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Why not play it in the standard tuning and it will just be 1/2 step sharp. Sorta like transposing it up 1/2 step.

ReplyQuote
(@live2play-play2live)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ya know i thought about that.....but i dont know i somehow blew it off....

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

you cant play with the song if it isnt tuned the way it is :S
i use Eb tuning a lot, and just learnt this song a week ago (easiest song i have learnt in months!!)

you could tune the A string to the 4th fret of the low E, instead of the 5th like usual and then use the Ab to tune the E down to Eb, Eb tuning is a breeze with even the cheapest tuner, my tuner (cost $20 oz) has a button that switches between normal and flat tuning, it makes it a dream and i use it a lot. (be warned, once you go to Eb its hard to go back, cause it sounds so good!!! mmmmm)

ReplyQuote
(@live2play-play2live)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

coleclark i am in complete agreement....it turns out that my dads tuner which he finally let me use has a button that tunes flat...helped a bunch.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

My tuner has that flat button too... for whatever reason I've never messed with it... now I'm thinking what the heck, I love tuning my guitar down, and I suck at tuning by ear, I can't believe I haven't used that feature (I once tuned down 5 semitones, it was awful and interesting at the same time... probably also matched the 6th string to the 4th too so I could play power chords easier).

I can't wait to go home to try it out, too bad my schedule just got slaughtered (have to work late to coordinate new phone system... but thought I'd go home early and come back after a few hours, just found out the phone dude is on his way over in about an hour.... so no go home early, and definitely stay late... I picked the wrong night to quit sniffing glue).

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

low tuning with big fat strings is cool...
but it has to suit the song, the strings are looser in Eb so you get a more husky scratchy acoustic sound i find

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

For a guitar player, a tuner is absolutely important. Never play out of tune. There are enough other problems in playing to deal with.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Turns out my tuner is setup so it can tune down 4 semitones by pushing the flat button more than once... so you know what I did... it works well on my bass and makes slap and pop a little more friendly, on my guitar it does some weird things depending on the strings... but generally syncopates strums sound pretty nice, the sound is very very different 4 semitones lower and palm muting seems highly encouraged now.

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

So what did we do before electronic tuners??????? (ive got a $14 Korg)

Harmonics! :shock:

Coleclark has the right idea.

Interesting half step downers: Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Simon & Garfunkel.

Queen would play in flat keys sometimes, but not tuned down. :wink:

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So what did we do before electronic tuners???????

We found someone with a piano and said "gimme the E above middle C....." - or we used pitch pipes. Anyone remember THEM!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

in my day...we didnt have your fandangled fancy tuners....

...we tuned to the note the frog made as we stepped on it...the bigger the frog the lower the note...the second time you tried to step on it you got a flat note... :lol:

sorry off on a tangent... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

So what did we do before electronic tuners???????

or we used pitch pipes. Anyone remember THEM!!!!

Vic

I do have a pitch pipe and love tuning with it. More often then not, I play the pitch pipe as an 'instrument' in itself...

:lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2