Clear all

Harmonics?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What are harmonics and how are they performed? The last measure of Silent Night has harmonics at the 12th fret on the d,g and b strings.

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You place your fingertips - or the flat part of your finger - lightly across the strings, right above where the fret is. You don't push the strings down to the fret like you normally would; you just touch the string there. When you pluck with your other hand, you'll get the harmonics. At first it might be a little dull sounding or it might thud, but just vary the pressure of the finger on the strings until it's touching lightly but firmly.

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you! I will give that a try.

ReplyQuote
 Val
(@val)
Estimable Member

Hi, Nwoodgirl

David has written a great lesson on harmonics:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=44

Here's a little something for you to practise on then, when you have wowed everyone at Christmas with 'Silent Night', you can ring in the New Year:

(Play all notes as harmonics)
e||--------------12---------|---------12--------------||
B||----7--------------------|---------------7---------||
G||---------7---------------|--------------------7----||
D||--------------------7----!----7--------------------||
A||-------------------------|-------------------------||
E||-------------------------|-------------------------||

Best wishes,
Val

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Val,
Thanks! That is great. It took a few times through to get to where is didn't sound flat and dull, but now I have it. :D One great thing about being a newbie is that you can have a revelation everyday. There is so much to learn. Just when I feel overwhelmed it seems I figure out something new and it reinspires me to keep plugging along.

ReplyQuote