Clear all

Help Choosing Electric

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Been learning on acoustic and need to go electric. Problem is I'd like to stay around $350. No problem buying used. just want to make sure it is functionally sound and can play. Can I get a good used strat for this price. Epiphone Les Paul? Other brands/models to recommend? I want something versatile. I want to play blues, classic rock, etc.
If its a strat i dont mind if condition is not perfect, as long as it plays well.
Anyway, any input into other things to consider would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

(@shibby)
Estimable Member

You can get a brand new Standard Strat for 350. I have one it plays great and sounds great. You can get a lot of different tones out of it. One of the more versitale guitars made. Hope that helps.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

New standards are well within your range.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

What are you doing about an amplifier? Is that to be included in the $350?

G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Amp is not included in the $350. Not sure what i would spend on that.

Also, what is the difference between a standard strat and an American Series Strat?

And, what is the difference in sound between a strat and a les paul?

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Strats normally have single coil pickups, which are crisper and clearer. Les Paul's normally have humbucker pickups, which give a heavier sound. Just personal preferance really.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Amp is not included in the $350. Not sure what i would spend on that.

Also, what is the difference between a standard strat and an American Series Strat?

And, what is the difference in sound between a strat and a les paul?

A Strat is going to have a more "bell" like tone from the single coils, whereass a Les Paul is got a "growly" type sound. People who use Strats Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Les Paul users Jimmy Page, Zak Wylde, Neil Young.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@phingerboard)
Trusted Member

Fender Squiers fall within your price range. I'd suggest trying them out individually though, as sampling of several of the same model may yield some nice ones and some dogs as well.

Look up Raven West guitars. The quality of materials and workmanship is excellent for the price. There's usually a handful of them available on ebay. Easily the best guitar you can get for less than $1000.

Best Guitar Sites | Guitar Players Lick Better

ReplyQuote
(@junkeroos)

Have you checked Godin? I read reviews at Harmony-Central.com and they got high praises from users.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinperfseriesp.htm

There's the Performance series such as Radiator, SD, Exit 22. Very good price and even better bought on eBay.

:cool: Stock Market Simulator contest!
http://www.einvesting.com
Play The Market, Talk Investing, Learn Trading, Win $50!

ReplyQuote
(@brian-f)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the input. I will check out godin.

Art&Lutherie, would I be able to get more of a "rougher" sound from the strat by tweaking the amp, etc? Would that be easier than trying to get the criper "bell" sound from the Les Paul?

Any recommendations on amps?? Can I get a good amp for under $100?

ReplyQuote
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

I'll go along with the Strat and when you go looking for an amp my advice is a used Fender Pro Jr. $$ or Blues Jr. $$$.

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote
(@bballer320xu)

I just bought a strat, and I love it. Be sure to negotiate with any salesperson though, I got mine for about 300, down from 350. Most will be willing to work with you.

ReplyQuote