Skip to content
Help! It is impossi...

Notifications
Clear all

Help! It is impossible to tune my guitar!

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Just my opinion again, but locking nuts are useless. Your guitar will still go out of tune.

Not on my RG550. After the strings have settled in I can pull out the lamest divebombs and it will still be perfectly in tune. If I try that on my strat I'm in big trouble. For lots of stuff it's pointless but ofr wild extravaganza it's definitely usefull to have a locking system.

ReplyQuote
(@huanlong101)
Topic starter  

Cheers for all your help guys. I managed to get it to tune everntually, i put new strings on and restrung the whole thing (twice) and i have taken off the locking nuts at the top cos they were annoying me and it was fine without, used the fine tuners at the bottom (bridge??) and it stays in tune now.

Thanks for all your help, its really helped me out

Ben

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not on my RG550. After the strings have settled in I can pull out the lamest divebombs and it will still be perfectly in tune. If I try that on my strat I'm in big trouble. For lots of stuff it's pointless but ofr wild extravaganza it's definitely usefull to have a locking system.

Your guitar will still go outta tune, I promise you. Strings are made of metal and they stretch over time, especially if you are doing divebombs. The guitar will go out of tune. I have had lots of experience with Floyd Rose.

I went to Guitar Center yesterday just to check out guitars, amps, and effects. I was sitting there playing when a lady came up and asked me if an Ibanez guitar was any good, she was thinking of buying it for her young son. She handed it to me so I could check it out. It had a Floyd Rose and locking nuts. It was horribly out of tune and there was not enough travel on the bridge adjustment screws to bring it into tune. I told her I could not tune it (didn't happen to have an Allen Wrench on me). I asked her if her son was a beginner and she said yes. I told her not to get a guitar like this with Floyd Rose and locking nut, it is too complicated. She put it back on the wall.

You may think I am making this up for the sake of argument, but it really happened just the way I told it. Yeah, a Strat will go out of tune (so will your guitar), I can retune a Strat in seconds.

The title of this thread pretty much says it all.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2