Clear all

help not hitting other strings

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rosscopecotrain)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hi , like i said in my last post i have only been playin for a week , i have been breaking my practising up into different things , chords , chord changes , strumming and for the last couple of hours i have been lookin at tabs and i am stuck , this may seem like a silly question but say for instance you had a tab where u had to strum only the 3rd,4th and 5th string , what do you all find the best way to do this with out hitting the 1st,2nd and 6th. Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks Ross

(@guitar_man_910)
Eminent Member

To me this was one of those areas where I had to look at the neck to make sure my fingers were placed correctly. Then look at my strumming hand and make sure I was hitting the correct strings. Just practice and this will be thing of the past. It will take some time.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Also, and call me sloppy, but sometimes it not always a bad thing to hit a string now and then even if its not written into the tab. Sometimes it sounds awful but other times it kinda adds character.

I dont know how many times I have been playing something and hit a string I wasnt expecting to and went "Aww.. that sounded NICE".

But other than practice you will also find that sometimes you have to lay a finger next to the string you DONT want to play and touch it just enough to mute it.

I am a beginner myself but these are things I have noticed. Probly the more advanced crowd might have some other suggestions.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member

It is difficult. Learning scales helps because it's all about being able to 'feel' what string your playing.

I'm OK at not strumming low strings on a downstrum. Not playing high strings is difficult though...

On a related note is it even possible to play chords like without a mute (which I don't like the sound of): O2x3O2 ?

ie; ones that have a string you shouldn't play with strings you should play either side

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It is difficult. Learning scales helps because it's all about being able to 'feel' what string your playing.

I'm OK at not strumming low strings on a downstrum. Not playing high strings is difficult though...

On a related note is it even possible to play chords like without a mute (which I don't like the sound of): O2x3O2 ?

ie; ones that have a string you shouldn't play with strings you should play either side

It is possible by A: Resting one of your fingers on the string to be muted thereby not letting it sound or B: hybrid picking it i.e. picking the top strings with the pick and plucking the other three with your ring , index and pinky fingers at the same time or C: playing it fingerstyle.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote