Notifications
Clear all

Help with a couple strumming patterns.

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@brettbohanan)
Topic starter  

Like others I have been lurking for a month or so, but have never posted. I have a couple of questions, but first I'll give a little background.

I am totally new to guitar. I have been playing for a month and a half. Playing the guitar is something i have always wanted to do. When I was 14 I heard the opening lick of Althea by the Grateful Dead and knew I wanted to play. When I was 18 I bought a guitar and it was the funniest thing...it wouldn't play it's self. Well life happened after that and I eventually sold it without having EVER played it :cry: . I was in college and I needed the money. Fast forward to today (I am 30) and my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said a guitar!!! So the journey begins...

I currently do not take "formal" lessons. I say this because a lesson is anything you learn from (video, forum, book, another guitar player, formal lessons, etc...). I am considering taking lessons, but wanted to get a little basics first. I am working on some chords. I currently know quite a few major and minor chords and have started to dip into some 7ths. I have really not attempted many songs for fear of getting completely side tracked and not learning anything. The only song I have really messed around with is Rocky Raccoon by The Beatles. It seemed simple enough with the repeating strum pattern, and I am actually not half bad at playing it now. A few people even recognized it without any prompting!!!

So now I want to mess around with a couple other songs, but I am terrible at figuring out strum patterns. Well maybe not terrible, just new. Any help is greatly appreciated. I will post links to the songs. Also if anyone wants to include the chords as they hear them that would be great. I can make sure I have them right as well :lol: .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rd9WBhum_oc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i0JYEb6mugs

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!

Brett