Notifications
Clear all

Help with C Chord

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@swimboy)
Topic starter  

I am just picking up guitar and I am running into difficulty with the C Chord.

When I try and muffle the 6th string with my thumb my chub under my first finger (index) rubs against the first string. When I don't use my thumb, it's better but if I don't think about it- it will muffle.

Also, either way- it's one heck of a strecth and I have to place my fingers one at a time to "pin" them in place before playing. Is this normal? Are their stretches I should be doing?

Please advise. Many Thanks.

-dan

(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I had exactly the same problem when i first started playing... i would use my right hand to put my left hand fingers in the correct places and they STILL wouldn't stay there...
You have to train the muscles in your hands to do things that they've never done before... i just takes time to increase the flexibility and strength of your hand...

the best training method is to actually play your guitar (at least practice fretting chords)...
When you think you've got your fingers in the right places, give it a strum and see how it sounds (it will probably sound buzzy and muffled)... take your hand away and then try again.... and again and again.... soon enough you'll get it to ring out clearly.

When first starting you should keep your thumb near the middle of the back of the neck (not wrapped over the top).. as your flexibility increases you can work on muting the low E with your thumb..

another suggestion i've heard is to get a capo and try to make the same chord shapes further up the neck where the frets are smaller.. then gradually move the capo down until you're back at the nut and you've got hands as strong as a gorilla and fingertips made of steel..

Good Luck

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@cornell-finch)

Can't offer any suggestion for stretching, but I have found that if I let my third finger (on the 5th string) move up a little it will touch and mute the 6th string. It means that, as J says, you can keep your thumb in the middle of the neck.

*note - I've only been playing about three months myself so could be talking rubbish! *

HTH

Collin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

try this, it's cowboy style for when you want to alternate the bass string picking.
index finger on 2nd string 1st fret
middle finger on 4th string 2nd fret
pinky on 5th string 3rd fret
ring finger on 6th string 3rd fret.

this way you dont have to mute the 6th string. play it as it fills out the chord.
or pick the A string then the E string for a bass rythym.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@obair)

I had the same problem with the C chord, my advice would be to use a capo, starting on fret 6 and as you get the strech move the copo up the neck, try it I found it worked great for me

ReplyQuote