Notifications
Clear all

Help with Guitar Noise!!!!

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@qoo111)
Topic starter  

I have Fender Standard Stratocaster. It was about $450 (I dont remember). Also I have Marshall MG4 Series MG50FX 50W and couple of pedals. My question is that it gives me lots of noise. (By the way, im using Monster cables).
So I connected from my guitar to amp (no pedals connected). It still gave me noise.
For test purpose, I used the monster cable for my acoustic guitar. Still gave me noise.
Funny thing is that whenever i use cheap cables ($5), there is no noise.
A lot of people mentioned that the noise disappeared after they used monster cable.
I have no idea. is my monster cable defective?
Or is there qualification for using monster cables? (meaning amp and guitar have to be above standard?)
Please help....

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

It sounds like you've already diagnosed the issue and are now hoping your wrong!
I'm no good with amps, effects and cables, but I'm a developer who has to diagnose things often.
I'd say its the cable!

On the off chance, make sure all electrical equipment is off and redo the test.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Call Monster. For what you paid for it they should replace the cable.

And I think you discovered a valuable lesson in the long run....Monster cables are overkill. A decent low cost cable works fine. I use Mogami cables and they are fine cables.

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

Monster's behavior in the HDMI cable market would make me avoid Monster cable in any sector - their sales pitches and specifications are so full of rubbish....

read up on them at wikipedia and some of the refrenced sources

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_cable#Controversy

Get your money back on the Monster Cable and get a decent cable for 1/5th the price

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

They have a lifetime warranty....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So does my body, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be upgraded or improved! I bought some Planet Waves cables about 4 years ago - now there's a lead that'll take a beating and still come back for more. I gave one away to a friend, still got two of them - I only use one, when that's worn out I'll use the other. The one I use has been run over by the wheels of my office chair countless times - you'd have thought it'd have been cut in half by now, but no, it hardly looks worn at all. Even the cable-tidy clips aren't broken!

Those leads cost £20 (almost $40) at the time - but they've been a good investment. I'd recommend them to anyone - I use them in a small room with a LOT of electrical appliances. Computer and modem are plugged in there, mobile phone'll be charging, keyboard plugs in there, and there's all sorts of weird conduits in there....but I get next to no interference at all. Same if I'm playing downstairs in the kitchen....fridge/freezer, washer/drier, chest freezer, oven, overhead fluorescent light, microwave oven, kettle, television....still no interference.

If I plug a radio in, in either of those rooms, it'll crackle like mad - especially when the fridge or freezer thermostat kicks in. But the amp never picks up any interference....so those cables must be very well shielded!

Course, I can only speak from my experience - but from that experience, cheap leads = short life = lots of buzz and crackling. A good lead = long life and virtually NO buzz or crackling. It'll be interesting to see what leads/cables others recommend - but I don't think I'd use anything else other than the PW cables, in the same way that I've used D'Addario strings for about the same length of time and hate having to go back to EB's when the local music shop's out of D'Addarios.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

A lot of people mentioned that the noise disappeared after they used monster cable.
I have no idea. is my monster cable defective?
Or is there qualification for using monster cables? (meaning amp and guitar have to be above standard?)
Please help....

Monster cables are mainly snake oil and horse manure. Their 1/4" ends are actually slightly OVER the industry spec, which wallows out the input jacks and eventually makes them useless for anything BUT the oversize plugs.

I'd take 'em back, and ask for an exchange of twice as many cables that are half the price.

Friends don't let friends use Monster Cable.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

not a good enough reason to put up with a crappy, unreliable design - no matter how cool and expensive it looks. at first glance, it seem the right decision to spend 3X on a brand M cable with a reliability of say (making this up) 99.999%, as opposed to an alternative that sounds just as good but has maybe only 99.9% rel. that hot M stuff would be 100 times more reliable than my budget cable right? no contest ... no back up ever needed! except ..... brand M does fail* (been there). and if brand M is the only cable I have at the gig, I am dead-in-the-water soggy toast. but what if I buy two of the adequate cables at total 2/3 the price of golden M? the adequate cable still sounds good enough to be gig-worthy (really, it does for almost everyone here). but now consider the total, dead-in-the-water failure is now 99.9999% as both my first and backup cable would have to fail to sink me. the only price (in addition to 33% savings!) is with 3 minutes of inconvenient, but limited down time to replace the first cable with the second.

* I've had the fancy-schmancy PRE-cision brand M connector come unscrewed and separate in the midst of playing. I love the excitement of an intermittent connection, don't you? it's just as good as letting a moron control my kill switch. and when it finally comes completely apart, I can crawl around on stage looking for that missing piece.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

* I've had the fancy-schmancy PRE-cision brand M connector come unscrewed and separate in the midst of playing. I love the excitement of an intermittent connection, don't you? it's just as good as letting a moron control my kill switch. and when it finally comes completely apart, I can crawl around on stage looking for that missing piece.

So...we'll put you down as "undecided," eh, Greg?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@valcom2)

Let me throw in my very enthusiastic support for the Planet Waves cables as well. They eliminated ALL of my noise problems. The only thing I have encountered that give them any trouble is when my dog chewed on one. They have a lifetime guarantee, but I don't think that is covered.

ReplyQuote