Notifications
Clear all

Hmm... I need some sort of roadmap?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rowsan)
Topic starter  

Okay, so i first started dabbling with the guitar when i was in the 11th grade. I learned a few chords, and a few simple melodies, nothing big. Skip to after graduation, and i've taken it up again, I can switch chords fluidly rather fluidly ( i still need to master this, but im definitely doing well), can play songs with simple open chords, and find that even more complex things I can play, as long as Im serious and make an effort. and for fun I've attempted to learn solos and a little more complex things as far as electric goes (power chords, hammer ons, pull offs, bending, ive even tried to emulate certain musicians) I've had success in the things I've attempted to learn, and things I put my time into.

Now... my problem is that I really dont see where I'm going? I mean most sites that teach you i've found tell you to do this (im self teaching myself for now btw, lessons arent even an option as im without a job currently)

- Learn basic chords, and then learn this song. Obviously this is vague, but after providing the basics and more complex songs for when your playing starts to reach a higher level, most leave you without a place to go afterwords. I may be wrong, maybe im looking in the wrong places.

I've found that It DOES get more complicated but I have trouble connecting what I find. If that makes sense.

So where do I go after ive learned my fill of acoustic songs? attempt to learn songs I enjoy?

When will the fact that I know how to play open chord songs, and then eventually know how to play rhythym guitar well as a whole spring me towards being able to play more complex things (such as solos) and actually understanding what im doing?

So what do I do in order to become "proficient"? I can read tablature, so do I attempt to play the songs I like? Is that all there is to it, playing what you want? and taking from what you learn slowly?

Also how important are Barre chords? obviously I need to learn them, but what is the purpose of a "barre" exactly. and how can I use them to improve overall as a guitar player?

i guess what im asking of someone is to help me fill in the blanks?

Also, I play on an electric, it seems as if learning chords and songs with mostly chords would better be suited for acoustic? Like I said I can play songs, but it isnt really enjoyable I find on an electric, because most songs taught to beginners are acoustic after all if im not mistaken. So another one of my questions is, should I take the same steps in learning guitar on an acoustic as I would on an electric? For instance, I play a song based around open chords on my electric, because thats what im taught to do as a beginner, but I get annoyed that it doesnt sound as nice as it would on an acoustic, so I try to learn more "electric based" things, like solo's and just songs in general that are played on an electric. Is this right? Should I be doing this differently? I do enjoy the acoustic sound a little more then electric, but find both enjoyable, I guess the obvious answer would be to pick up an acoustic?

a lot of people recommend electric, and i really dont know why, because as far as ive seen, most beginner courses are better suited for acoustic? (could be wrong). Maybe its my guitar? I doubt it, acoustic are just that acoustic, and songs with mostly chords (if im not mistaken) will sound better on them most the time, right?

I guess im just confused as far as where it all "connects". Maybe I need to know theory?

Also, scales confuse me. what exactly are their purpose?

How are scales improving my guitar skill? And how important is knowing the notes on the fretboard like your abc's?

Sorry if anything sounds confusing, I tend to ask A LOT of questions when im learning, just to make sure im doing it right.

so if someone would be so kind to even just answer what you may know or think, I would really appreciate it. Advice is much appreciated, and any opinion is welcome. Also I could be wrong in some things i've said, im still a beginner as well. Thank again :)

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

GN default answer for players who get stuck (all together now):

"Play with other people!"

Works every time.

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

I'll try and answer some of the questions I guess.

Barre chords are basically the same open chords but using your index finger as a moveable nut, so you use the same shapes but the whole chords can be moved. example: An open E chord uses the nut (fret 0) as the barre. Move it one fret up (half step) and its an F chord. This move means you need a barre at fret 1 to keep the all the strings in harmony with each other. Move it two more up and its a G chord (an E-Shaped barre chord at fret 3 instead of 0). Basically it means you can play chords all the way up the neck. E-Shaped barre chords get their chord name from the 6th string (thickest), so by knowing only the notes on the E strings you can know all your E-Shaped barre chords). Similar story with the A shape barre chord, except the chord name or root note is on the A string as you don't play the thickest 6th string when you play an A chord.

As for the whole electric and acoustic debate, some say learning on an acoustic is best, as you'll have a better technique and stronger hand. I learned on an electric and had a few annoyances going to acoustic, mainly due to fret noise as I was used to fretting the easier electric. I'll play all songs on either guitar, the only exception being songs including a lot of bends which are very hard on an acoustic.

Stick with it matey, you'll get past your personal wall and see the light :)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

As you said, in my opinion you should learn what you enjoy. It's much more fun and enjoyable that way. Learn songs you like with techniques you don;t know about in them, and the read up on the technique.

And definatley PLAY WITH OTHER PEOPLE.

About the acoustic - electric debate. Your electric guitar can be made to sound just as acoustic-ey as any acoustic guitar with the right settings on your amp and/or pedals. Even the knobs and switch on your guitar will contribute.

Most important thing though. Make your learning fun. I learned by teaching myself things i enjoy. If i had done things i didn't, i probably would have packed in a while back.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

"IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING ANY ROAD WILL GET YOU THERE"

I find and you may as well that as you learn guitar your mucical taste is adjusted. Mine is usually toards stuff I am capable or nearly capable of playing. When given advice on leaning what I liked was not necesarily what I needed. I needed to learn a lot of stuff before being capable of playing the song that was origionally my goal. Don't stress to much on exacty what you should learn next too much. This site and Justin Guitar have some good lessons. Start at the beginning and go one at a time. I leaned a lot of songs that never would have made it onto my "what I want to listen to" list but they gave me some technique or practice that I needed along the way.

I hear you on the electric/acoustic thing some songs just cry out for an acoustic. My recommendations for good (not too hard) songs that sound good on either type are Miss You, You Can't Always Get What You Want by the stones Three Marlenas, and Margaritaville (fun little intro here). I also just finished one of Daves Easy songs for beginners lessons "love the one you're with" It is fun and goes electic or acoustic just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Right, you need a map - to where? What's your destination? Or to put it simply, what do you want to play? First you need to work out what you want to do with the guitar....THEN you can start working on how to get there.

Lead or Rhythm?

Lead - you're going to have to work on scales. You're going to have to know what key you're in, which chord the rhythm guitarist is playing, and how to get from one key to another.

Rhythm - you're going to have to learn chords. Powerchords, strummed chords, extended chords - 9ths, add 9ths, 11ths etc...

Timing is important, whichever you're going to learn. No good learning every riff, lick or chord in existence if you don't know when to play 'em...this is where playing with other people come in.

THEN....you're going to have to decide what genre of guitar music you're going to play. Classic rock - punk rock - metal - folk - blues - classical....each and every one of these genres requires a totally different approach, a different mindset, to playing guitar.

There's a hell of a lot to learn - the best way to start, IMHO, is to concentrate on one specific area you do want to be good at. On the other hand......Metal - mostly two-finger powerchords - will build up your speed. Classic Rock will help with versatility. Blues will help with rhythm and timing. Any genre will help you learn barre chords, and learn the fretboard....

So....all I can advise is, concentrate on what you whichever genre you want to play in - but don't neglect the others. You can learn a lot from ANY guitarist!!!

Good luck.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rowsan)
Topic starter  

thanks a lot guys

i do understand i need to know where im going, it just seemed like there was just so many destinations, it seemed hard to choose :) i really do appreciate all the help thanks again! i gotta remember to enjoy what im doing as well, it seems things just sort of pop into place if you're having fun, its weird, you just happen to stumble upon your answer when you look somewhere in the right direction, its what ive noticed anyways.

ReplyQuote