Clear all

Hockey stick

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sergeob)
Topic starter  

Good day everyone,
I'm trying to play acoustic guitar for just a few months now and on some piece of music that I have there is a sign over the staff and it look like a hockey stick. Sometimes there is 2, 3 or 4 tied together. What's the meaning and the use of those sign? I have enough work trying to play acoustic but I'd like to understand all the sign that I can see on my sheet.
Thank to the helpers...

(@clau20)
Reputable Member

The "hockey stick" is for the chords

There's the name of the chords over the staff and the "hockey stick" (don't know ow to call it in english) tells you how many times you have to play the chords and the rythm

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

As Clau says, it's a shorthand for the rhythm notation. Instead of writing out every note of the chord in notation, they use a generic notehead, which looks like a hockey stick. The idea is that all you want is the rhythm, so they're providing you with the part of the notation that deals only with the rhtyhm (whether it's a quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note or one of the various rests, etc.,). If you're having trouble with it, take a look at any of the lessons we have here at Guitar Noise that deal with reading rhythm notation and you'll probably get it (pardon the pun) in no time at all.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@sergeob)
Topic starter  

For David,

I took few hours looking into Guitar Noise site for explanation about rythm notation but I can't find any specific explanation.
Anyone can tell me where to go...
Thank

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Try here first:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=86

There are other articles on our "Absolute Beginners" page that deal with rhythm as well. Tom Serb ("Noteboat" here on the Forum pages) has some that you'll want to read.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

I had the same question a few months back. Here is a site that explains the hockey stick notations.

http://www.guitarchordsmagic.com/how-to-play-guitar-chords/strumming.html

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@sergeob)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot Rob,

It really help me.
Have a nice day

ReplyQuote