Clear all

holding down fingers while ascending

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When playing ascending notes on the same string (in one position), is it generally a good idea/habit to keep the previous notes/fingers held down?

Or should I only do that when I need to go back down to one of those notes a moment later?

I'm working through a rock guitar method book I just bought, and in one of the exercises it says to keep your fingers down while ascending, but doesn't say so for the other exercises. Thanks in advance...Patrick

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I'd say it's not generally that important, once you have your finger on the next note u dont need to hold it down. So you really only need two fingers down at any givin time.

This is just my opinion, some people might disagree. I think keeping all four fingers down could possibly increase your speed when using all four fingers.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The reason for keeping your fingers down is for exercise.
It will help develop strength, stretch and teach you to keep your fingers close to the fingerboard.(eliminates co called fly away fingers)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

To a certain extent it depends what you're going to do with them next. If you're going to come back down that string, leave the fingers in place. If you're going to use another string then best start thinking about what finger movements you need to make

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote