Clear all

how do i play chords?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys..ok i know this may seem like a stupid question but..how do i play chords? i mean..i can get th efingers in the right place but..im talking about strumming. like, do i strum the strings at the same time? or i think i once heard that u strum the top half like 3 times, then the bottom half 3 times..whats this?

Here's the song i want to play:

http://www.geocities.com/mrfobbykai/saltlight.doc

(> ^_^)>8 I have your balls. They're mine now.

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

There are many ways to strum chords, but I suggest that you start with a simple rhythm of all down strokes over all of the strings. When you feel comfortable with that try alternating down and up strokes, again over all of the strings.

You don't have to hit the strings hard, just move your forearm, rather than your wrist. As you get more accustomed to strumming, you'll find a natural tendency to make use of the wrist - it's fine as long as the forearm is doing more work than the wrist.

A properly strummed chord will sound just like a single note, just "bigger, fatter and fuller".

You need to feel happy with those rhythms before moving on to more complex patterns.

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

how do u know how many times u strum each chord?

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Ah, Grasshopper, you are seeking one of the secrets of Universe. 8)

In this case, though, the answer is not 42. :lol:

A good starting point, is to do simple strumming according to the time signature - if it is 4/4 (often shown as a "C"), then you should start with 4 strums per bar and three for 3/4 (stay away from anything more complex, for the moment).

It may not sound like the original, but you have to walk before you can run, Grasshopper :lol: .

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

k thanks...it would be nice if u stopped calling me grasshopper because personally i am DAMN SCARED of all insects..so, maybe like..piglet or osmething?

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Try looking up the TV Series "Kung Fu" on the internet and you'll understand the "Grasshopper" (either that or ask your parents) :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Strumming a chord depends on what strings are necessary for the chord. Most open chord requires all the strings be played at the same time, but there are exceptions such as the open D chord which only uses the bottom four strings. might want to start with some beginner lessons here on Guitar Noise (tm) and maybe other websites and some books. As for how to strum particular songs you'll eventually train your ear to pick up how the song is played and figure it out from there or do your best to fake it. Always remember....Do, or do not. There is no try. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Try looking up the TV Series "Kung Fu" on the internet and you'll understand the "Grasshopper" (either that or ask your parents) :lol: :lol:

That's the problem with this board, it can age you in a hurry. Welcome to the ranks of the geezers.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

LOL well first off, thanks for the info cyranodb, and for all of you other geezers out there, yes i do know what 'grasshopper' means..i love kung fu movies =P well...im debating on either playing or singing this song for the chapel at our school..(christian school) and i was just wondering how it should go..thanks for all the lessons though.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Here's a link that might get you started in the right direction........... the very FIRST place I would check, though, would be David Hodge's "Easy Songs For Beginners" lessons right here on GuitarNoise. He is VERY good about explaining strum patterns........... then check out....... http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa072299.htm

HTH

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote