Clear all

How Do I play the Bb chord?

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys..I"m looking at the tab for "How's it Going to be" by Third Eye Blind..and I'm wondering how I can play the "Bb" chord..

here's a link to the song..I got the first 2 chords (F, and C) down well..I just don'lt know how to form that Bb chord.

Here's a link

Thanks!

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?2246486

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont know the song but those three chords make up a progression.
I> IV< V.
I is C
IV is F
V is Bb.
while forming the F chord simply flatten your ring finger so it covers the 2nd, 3rd, 4th string over the 3rd fret. OR
take your pinky, ring and middle finger and place them over the same three strings on the 3rd fret.
it is the same as making an A chord. only you slide it up one fret.
play only the strings you have your fingers on.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm sorry..I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.

Here's what I"m doing right now:

I first play the F-Chord like this:

then I play the C-chord:

x32010

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to play this "Bb" chord...if you tell me where I place my fingers and stuff, or how I do this I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what a progression is, or if there's easier ways to play this or something. In the tab, that's what he says he plays...I have never played a Bb chord and don't know exactly where my fingers go...Here's how he says they go:

x13331

If that's the case, how do I position my fingers? Do I use my ring finger to BAR the third friet and then use my pointer and middle finger to press down on the first fret?

thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it..I'm just not quite sure I understand fully..

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member

Bar the 1st fret with your index finger, then put your middle, ring, and pinky on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings of the 3rd fret. Thats how I do it, anyway...hope thats not confusing :)

EDIT: Also, if it is easier, you dont have to bar the 6th string...maybe just try to touch it with the tip of your index finger to mute it in case you accidentally hit it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

barre the first fret with your index. barre the third with your ring, like an a chord, or use your ring and pinky if you can't hold down the a-shaped barre with your ring finger.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The chord, that you show, x13331 is correct.
What you are doing is moving an A chord up one semitone, to form a Bb chord. Because the open A has two open strings (A and high E), they also need to be raised by one semitone, as well.
Open A
*|--|--|
|--|-*|
|--|-*|
|--|-*|
*|--|--|
X|--|--|
0 1 2 - fret
Bb
|-*|--|--|
|--|--|-*|
|--|--|-*|
|--|--|-*|
|-*|--|--|
X|--|--|--|
0 1 2 3 - fret

Can you see the relationship between the open A chord and Bb? Same shape, one semitone higher?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Whenever I don't know how to play a chord or I am looking for the fingering for a chord I just go to Google and type in the chord name....in this case Bb Chord and there are usually several pictures of the chord. I do this mostly with more complex chords..

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm sorry..I'm not quite sure I know what you mean.

Here's what I"m doing right now:

I first play the F-Chord like this:

then I play the C-chord:

x32010

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to play this "Bb" chord...if you tell me where I place my fingers and stuff, or how I do this I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what a progression is, or if there's easier ways to play this or something. In the tab, that's what he says he plays...I have never played a Bb chord and don't know exactly where my fingers go...Here's how he says they go:

x13331

If that's the case, how do I position my fingers? Do I use my ring finger to BAR the third friet and then use my pointer and middle finger to press down on the first fret?

thanks a lot for your help. I appreciate it..I'm just not quite sure I understand fully..

two of the chords you show , the F and Bb are barre chords.
the C chord you show is called the open position.
if you were clearer in your original post, ie< "how do I make a barre chord Bb" then I would have been more clear.

as the others said, barre with your index finger the frist fret then with nyour ring finger barre the 2nd, 3rd 4th strings on the 3rd fret.

or as I posted simply flatten your ring finger over the 3rd fret .
a progression is a series of chords.
in my example I is the first chord in the series, often the first chord in a song. the next chord usually is five frets up and the third chord in a song is usually seven frets up from the first chord.
you'l understand this the more songs you play.

most importantly.DO NOT barre on the fret wire but behind it.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I> IV< V.
I is C
IV is F
V is Bb.

Actually...

I is F
IV is Bb
V is C

:)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I> IV< V.
I is C
IV is F
V is Bb.

Actually...

I is F
IV is Bb
V is C

:)

that is correct.
you right. :)

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thank you all very much for your kind suggestions. I think I am playing the chord correctly. I barre the first fret, and then use my pinky, ring, and middle fingers on the third fret..I just DON'T play the 6th string...

I have one more question though..a few of you suggested barring with my ring AND index..does that mean I'd have to JUST BARRE those 3 strings on the third fret? If so, how is that possible? that seems very difficult

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

regarding using your ring finger.
the answer is Yes.
it may be considered a short cut to some, but for me it works well.
what is important to remember is to only play the three strings.
sort of dive in there with the pick.
it sounds good. not as full as when the full barre is played (with full barre play the 6th string).
at first this will feel funny and look weird seeing your ring finger almost bend backwards.
in time your fingers will gain strength; chording in general will be second nature.

keep practicing. and Im glad we can help.

have you played with the thumb over the top yet.
I wont go into detail as I dont want to confuse you or take you away from your new practice.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I typed up that song about a year ago. I put a capo on the third fret to play easier chords. PM me if you'd like me to email it to you.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@hisnameismatt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I do use my thumb to play the top string and sometimes mute the 2nd string...I like doing that

Thanks for the help guys

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

You have three ways to go:

1) Learn the Bb chord, either with an A-shape barre on the 1st fret (i = index finger, r= ring finger):

e|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----| (usually muted, but doesn't matter)
B|--i--|-----|--r--|-----|-----|
G|--i--|-----|--r--|-----|-----|
D|--i--|-----|--r--|-----|-----|
A|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
E|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----| (muted or not strummed, but doesn't matter)

or with an E-shape barre on the 6th fret (m=middle finger, p=pinkie):

e|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
B|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
G|--i--|--m--|-----|-----|-----|
D|--i--|-----|---p-|-----|-----|
A|--i--|-----|-r---|-----|-----|
E|--i--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
6th fret

2) Simply play the song in the key of G (use G instead of F, C instead of Bb and D instead of C). No one will hear the difference and if you're playing alone, no one will know.

3) Use a capo on the 3nd fret and play it in D (use D instead of F, G instead of Bb and A instead of C). This will put you in the key of F, but with easier chord shapes. There are other ways to go with a capo, but D is easiest.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2