Skip to content
How do I properly s...

Notifications
Clear all

How do I properly strum with my hand? (no pick)

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How do I strum with my hand? Without using a pick? I can't quite get the technique down. I don't like using a pick since I can hand pick more quickly and accurately.

Should I force myself to learn using a pick to play individual strings? Is it neccessary for becoming a good player? I don't think I'll ever be able to do it as quickly with a pick as I can my fingers. I think part of it is that I have learned to type 160 words per minute on the computer keyboard, and it feels far more natural to pluck the strings kind of like a keyboard.

(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

160 WPM thats insane....

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'd gladly trade it to be a guitar pro ;)

And i actually just tested it, its only arround 105. The 160 was the fastest i've ever clocked it. And it wasn't 100% accurate.

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member

I'd gladly trade it to be a guitar pro ;)

And i actually just tested it, its only arround 105. The 160 was the fastest i've ever clocked it. And it wasn't 100% accurate.

Heh, I'm in the same pit as you, I type around 130 WPM on average.

I actually pick with a pick a lot fasther than I do with my fingers, and I think this is just because I've practiced pretty much only with a pick. Anyway, if I were strumming with my fingers, I'd probably try to run the nails of them down the strings emulating the hardness of a pick. It gives the same crisp clean sound as a pick, and you'll probablyu be able to do it just as fast.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I down strum with my thumb and up strum with my index finger.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Since I'm basically a fingerpicker, I'm more comfortable without a pick, too. I feel like I have more "freedom" playing with my fingers than with a pick. When I strum, though, sometimes I use my thumb (P) for the downstrokes (and definitely for incorporating a bass pattern into my strumming pattern), but sometimes I use the backs of my fingernails (I,M & A - & sometimes even C (the pinkie) if I'm not holding a pick in the crook of that finger for those times that I need to switch from fingerpicking to flatpicking and back in the course of a song). For the upstrokes it's usually always I, M & A. I like to use more than one finger for strumming because it gives a fuller sound, IMHO.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I do the opposite, using the backs of my nails.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I do the opposite, using the backs of my nails.

I use the backs of my nails for the downstrokes, but the inside of my nails for the upstrokes........................ Don't think I put that last part in!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

So you use all your fingers for the strum? I like to use just one, my index or middle to go down, and the thumb to go up.

ReplyQuote
(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

I use i m a to strum without a pick by shooting my fingers out

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sometyimes I use my pads for a "SOFTER" sound.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

I type around 130 WPM

with me its more like 130 minutes per word!
I can spell any word but cant type for s***

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

As you can see there are a lot of ways to strum with your hand. I like to use only my thumb. In fact I strum and pick with only my thumb at times. No matter what finger or combination there of, you strum just like you would with a pick, brushing across the strings lightly. It might help to plant you pinkie on the top below the sound hole for balance and accuracy if your using just your thumb.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I recommend everyone learn both with and without a pick, both methods have their advantages, both will come in handy in virtually any style.

You can't be TOO diverse.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

As you can see there are a lot of ways to strum with your hand. I like to use only my thumb. In fact I strum and pick with only my thumb at times. No matter what finger or combination there of, you strum just like you would with a pick, brushing across the strings lightly. It might help to plant you pinkie on the top below the sound hole for balance and accuracy if your using just your thumb.

I used to anchor my pinkie because when I first started fingerpicking it helped me to stay "in place". Without anchoring my fingers tended to "travel" a bit and I didn't always hit the string I intended to. Anchoring helped me learn to stay put. BUT, after a while I stopped doing it mostly because I began to learn to use my pinkie (C) to pick with as well.

There are a couple of schools of thought on anchoring. Some will say "Don't ever do it", "It's bad form"..... however, there are equally as many people who will say "If it works for you, then do it". I fall into the second category.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2