17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hi everybody ( that sounds so corny ) :lol:

Serious question though

Is there a expirery date for strings ON your guitars ?

I own 2 guitars 1 electric 1 acustic

I break strings on my electric like every other day but have only ever broken high E string on my acustic .

Both guitars are about 18 months old , should I replace my acustic strings or should I wait till they break ? Or should I be doing maintance on them like replacing them every 3 months or something ?

The strings on my acustic still sound OK or is that because I have become accustomed to their noise ( tone )

I honestly do not know

Thanks in advance

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

It probably is because you have become used to it. I know I do the same thing. I'm like, "I dont need to change em" but when I do.. OMG It sounds so much better.

But man, if you arent gigging and your just beating on the strings for your own sake then change them when you want. Want, in my case, is every two or three months. I just like to get that "new smell" back on it now and then.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I change mine every three months, whether they need it or not.

Two electrics, two accoustics (one 12-string), four classicals.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hi everybody
Hi Dr Nick! Sorry, couldn't help the ubiquitous Simpsons response. :P

I change my strings roughly every 2-3 months. I only have one acoustic atm and I play nearly every night for about an hour or so.

Like Geoo I love to get that new 'smell'. :)

I also use it as an excuse to try different sized/type strings.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Hilch,

You should change them when they need changing :)

After a while dirt, rust, and work hardening (a physical change caused by the string tension) make the strings drop in pitch. So you tune them back up... but in the case of rust or dirt, the distribution along the length of the string isn't even. Over time, that means you'll get it into tune as an open string, but fretted notes will be off. I could tell you why if you're interested, but it's a big explanation :)

When the strings are off far enough that you can tell notes are out of tune, it's time to change them. I've had strings lose intonation in as little as a few days, or as long as about 3 months. As a rule of thumb, they seem to last between 30 and 100 playing hours, but there are exceptions at both ends.

Coated strings last longer, because they don't rust as fast. Nylon strings last longer too, because they don't rust at all - the wound nylon strings will have some oxidation, but it's chemically a bit different and a slower process.

Playing an instrument involves a feedback loop - you anticipate a sound in your head, you tell your fingers what to do, and your ears check the result. So having strings that make the sounds they're supposed to is actually a very important part of improving as a musician - if the intonation is off, you're training your ears to accept 'bad' notes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Alot of it also depends on how often you play. The more you beat on the strings and use them, the more the residue from your hands effect the strings and such and the more they begin to wear out as well. So, if you're like me and you only play maybe a couple of times a week then you might not change them as often as a friend of mine who's religiously in his basement playing his guitar for 2 hours a day.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

When to change:
* Before every gig
* When they're "dead" (noticeable loss of tonal quality).
* When one breaks.
* Whenever you feel like it.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

if you loosen the guitar string enough to run your finger under the string and up the neck you may feel dents or bumps...that's a tell to change em.

I change more often now than when I was a newer player.
it's probably because I hear my sound better...more focused you could say.
when I hear the string sounding punky off they all go. all of them at oncew.

generally, when not gigging once every two months or so.
when gigging or rehearsing (more than twelve hours per week) then I change every week or twen days.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks everybody

and Bennett - I knew I had heard " Hi everybody" somewhere thanks for that as well .

I play/ practice every nite for about 2 hours .....

I have a new pack of stings I bought yesterday in case of breakage .

Will spend time today replacing every string on my guitars , then wait to be pleasantly surprised ...

Hilch :?:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

and dont forget to buy anoher pack.
it is so important to have backups.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

just a stupid question: yesterday I changed the strings for the first time after one year or so that I play the guitar. What really puzzles me is that the new strings don't sound so good and it seems that they don't stay tuned. At the beginning I tought I had done something wrong (maybe did not fix them well) but I check again and everything it seems ok....maybe I have to play them a bit...any idea?

thanks

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hi Matteo, I wonder if it could just be that the strings haven't yet settled in yet. I can't say I've had the problem with new strings staying (roughly) in tune.

When I'm restringing it I pull up on the strings (ie. perpendicular to the face of the guitar) while tensioning them up. It could possibly be that this helps to settle them in quicker. :?

The only other thing I can think of is that the strings are slipping through the tuning pegs, though you seem to have checked this already if I read your post correctly.

Anyhoo, I'm no expert so I'm not all that sure what it could be. I do know however that new strings on my guitar always sound better and stay pretty much in tune.

Could it be that you actually prefer/became used to the sound of the older strings? New strings will certainly sound brighter but that may not be desired.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ya. new strings will require tuning touchups until they stretch out and settle in.
not sure why they dont sound good to you.

one note. when ever I change strings as I am rolling uop the old ones to throw away I always run the strings thru my fingers.
I am always amazed by the dents and gunky texture they have.

if your strings have been on a year they've gone thru four climatic seasons.
meaning swet, summer dirt, dry winter dirt, etc.

all that radically alters string cahracter which effects tone.
I beleive your ears have become accustoned to your old strings.

once you get into the rythm of changing strings I think you will have less and less problems.

and dont be hard on yourself. Ive been changing strings for close to forty years and sometimes I I do a poor job and have to start over.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi thanks to both Dogbite and Bennet for your suggestions and your kind words. I can't wait to play to see the guitar again to see if the problem would solve

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hey just a quick news: I retuned my string and now they work better, except maybe for the G one which has always had some problem (I guess it's guitar's fault). May be they just needed a few time to settle

Matteo

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2