Notifications
Clear all

How should i go on from here....

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@magnusdeus)
Topic starter  

Hey people , new member here on GuitarNoise . I just want some help from the guitar Noise Veterans here . I am a Noob guitarist , which is why im posting in this section of the forum . Primary reason is that im in need of help constructing a solid pratice schedule . Theoractically this is what i know uptill now , it's about what i can play......at a novice level though...

1 Chords ( All open Major and Minor Chords , Barre Chords , Power Chords )
2 Scales ( Blues , Major , Minor , Major Pentatonic's and Minor Pentatonics )

I have wandered into Music Theory , stuff like how Chords are contructed on the basis of Triads and such , and Major scale formula . Very basic stuff . I havent learnt any songs yet , since everyone kept telling me about how important scales are and such , and i should avoid songs for a while . I came on guitar noise , and after reading a load of articles and such , ive kinda decided that I should venture into songs , specially using this site's beginner song section . I just need to get the final approval from you guys , and any other sugesstions if you might have . Looking foward to them . Later .

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Definitely learn some songs. That's the whole point of learning the guitar, isn't it? The sooner you start, the better. Guitar's meant to be fun - so go have some!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

You can be a goon by growing your beard rough, tearing one side of your jeans and having a devil tattoo on your chest. :lol:

All guitarists dream of being one. But I guess I am too innocent looking and coward for that. :oops:

Ok, Magnusdeus, Welcome to GN !

The advice given by Mr. Vic Lewis is perfect. Learn songs and learn them complete. I know the 3 chords progression runs again and again, yet, you have to play it out till the end. Use your knowledge of chords, scales and theory to make your playing more interesting by using different chord voicings, improvisation etc.

Hope you enjoy your stay here at GN. Play well and play often.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You can be a goon by growing your beard rough, tearing one side of your jeans and having a devil tattoo on your chest.

Or by learning the Ying-tong song......

Now then - I've got a rough beard.....I totally refuse to rip my jeans, have you any idea how hard it is to get jeans with a 36" inside leg? And as for a devil tattoo - no thanks, maybe a Liver Bird.

OK - back to serious mode. Learn songs - that's what I said originally, and I'll stand by that. I'll go further - don't just learn any old songs, start with a song you really love. Play the songs YOU like to play - the more you enjoy playing them, the more you'll want to learn. Find a good tab site - I'm sure there'll be a few recommendations coming up. I usually go to Guitarnotes.com first - there are links on there to other sites such as OLGA.com and ulimateguitar.com.

Once you start playing what YOU want to play, your enjoyment of the guitar will increase immensely.....and the more you play, the more you'll learn!

A couple of years back, I asked if anyone could work out the chords for rhythm guitar for "Nantucket Sleighride" by Mountain - I've always loved that song. One person - Narn, I think it was - suggested tab from somewhere which wasn't much good. Since I've got better at guitar I've kept trying to work it out - over the last couple of years I've got closer. Then I bought a bass and found the bass line wasn't that hard....and something clicked, and all of a sudden I could play the song! Took me a while, but with a little determination you'll get there - YOU WILL GET THERE!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@magnusdeus)
Topic starter  

I've got a Goatee......I like my Jeans as they are , and Tatoo's are too expensive . Anyways .

Thanks for the replies guys . I guess , i better move onto the song part then . I know about all the major tab sites , such as Ultimate-Guitar and FretPlay and such , so that wont be a problem . Will have to set up a daily practice schedule too , since i cant just stop playing Scales and such i guess . Anyways , thanks for the suggestions . Looking foward to being able to treat you as equal guitarists in the future......depending on how crappily I progress with this . Ja na . Later . 8)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

We're all equal, in that we are all still learning :P

Learn them songs! I'd have suggested starting with songs, but it seems you've been able to stay interested learning the theory, that's great, speaks well for your future with the guitar. Start learning solos too, never too early to get a head start on improvising and soloing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Don't worry, we (atleast I am) might be only slightly less crappier than you.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

maybe instead of looking a Tabs to learn a song. why not use our ear and apply all the things you have learned.
I bet they come out. I have a feeling you will learn more by trying things this way.

throw on a CD, find the key and jam along too.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tiffer)
Eminent Member

When I started on songs, after practicing a few scales and chords for some time, I still found it difficult going off just tab off random tab websites, not sure what the ones mentioned are like but once I found guitar noise and the songs were explained as lessons I found it so much easier to do and they sometimes include a bit of theory, so if you find something you like on the lessons page, id recommend using it, it just helped cos I wasnt sure how to go about playing some things such as to arpeggio chords or strumming patterns, now I find it easier to go off maybe vague tab, and now it does help that I dont feel I have to sound exactly the same as the song anymore, oh yeah the easy song database on these forums will be good, lots of different song posted up by people on the site who give some advice and people may have already asked questions about them that might be useful

Of course you may not find it all that difficult and maybe you should try learning by ear and doing improv stuff and such but the song lessons certainly got me going

ReplyQuote
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member

When I first learned to play my father showed me A E & D and then he took off playing and said keep up. He showed me some bar chords next and then I started learning what I wanted to play. I would listen to a cassette and then it would be (play, stop, rewind, play, stop, rewind, pause, play, rewind, play, pause, play, rewind) Then somone introduced me to tabs and went from there. I believe OLGA was the big guitar tab site for several years.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

"have you any idea how hard it is to get jeans with a 36" inside leg"

--Holy crap, are you 6'8"?

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I havent learnt any songs yet , since everyone kept telling me about how important scales are and such , and i should avoid songs for a while . I came on guitar noise , and after reading a load of articles and such , ive kinda decided that I should venture into songs , specially using this site's beginner song section .

I can't see any reason to delay. You can play a song with only a handful of notes or three or four chords.

Just remember that it takes two hands to play. It's easy as a beginner to over-concentrate on your left hand placement (assuming a right handed player). If you neglect working on developing skills with the strumming/picking hand - all that stuff about rhythm, timing, expression etc - then you can end up knowing a stack of chords and scales but still be unable to turn them from a bunch of noises into something that actually sounds like music. :wink:

Good luck and have fun.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if you can take a few lessons here and there it would be a good idea....

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Lessons are always a good idea. When you do progress to playing songs, don't forget to keep working on your scales and chords.

ReplyQuote