Clear all

How to find a teacher

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is going to sound like a dumb question . . but .. how do I find a teacher?

I've been looking on-line for guitar teachers in my area and coming up blank. I've looked in the local paper and found nothing. There aren't any music stores in easy driving distance from me. I just don't know where to look.

Any ideas?

The other thing I'm wondernig is how to find people to play with . . . but first I should get to the point where I can play something :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You won't see a lot of ads in most local papers, because they don't work for teachers. (Personal experience - the last time I ran an ad for a month in a local paper, I got zero calls... the time before, only one caller who decided against trying lessons!)

The best way is word of mouth - find someone who plays and ask them. You might also try the yellow pages, or going to any music related stores - I have my brochures at a used CD store a couple miles from my house, and that actually does bring students.

You might also try looking in online boards, like craigslist - if you live in an area they cover, there are lots of teacher listings.

Once you can play a little bit, walking around with a guitar is a really good way to meet other guitarists. We're always curious to meet folks who play, and people carrying guitars probably play :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

If you live in the UK, check out the Registry of Guitar Teachers - I'll be taking lessons from one of their instructors when i get back from travelling. Not sure about elsewhere.

Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

When you get around to finding a teacher it might be wise to interview him/her too. You wouldn't want to end up blowing cash on a "teacher" that knows everything about guitar, but not be able to then teach it.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Even though the music stores are too far away some do keep list of teachers, you might find one by making a few phone calls.
Another option is to ask the music director of your local school, he/she may be able to suggest someone.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Another option is to ask the music director of your local school, he/she may be able to suggest someone.

Or, know someone who knows someone! One of the keys there honestly is to just get yourself in the right circles, it may seem a little prying at times, but you talk to that school music instructor, not only ask them if they know anyone, but ask them if they know anyone who might know anyone!

Also, speaking of schools, many high schools now have guitar classes, if you can get in there and see if your local HS does, that would be a great place to go as well. Even if they don't offer private lessons personally, they probably took private lessons from someone...

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member

In my case I took Noteboat's advice and contacted a local studio who recommended my current teacher.

Thanks again Noteboat, couldn't be happier now.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

ReplyQuote