Skip to content
How to keep skill l...

Notifications
Clear all

How to keep skill level from fading on vacation?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been practicing hard since I started playing several months ago, learning scales - exercises - chords - a few songs - building calluses. If I miss a day I feel like I've taken a couple of steps backwards. Now vacation time is here - what's the best things to do to keep your skills sharp if you can't play?

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Unless you are going on vacation for 2 months, I don't think you'll fall behind much at all. A couple of weeks away from the guitar won't kill you - in fact, it'll probably revamp your desire to pick it up and practice.

However, somethings you could do are:

Go through scales in your head, with just letters, as well as picturing the fretboard and where the notes are

Do finger/hand exercises - some are as simple as drumming your fingers on a table or desk, much like running through scales

Check out some new styles of music, see if there's anything you'd like to learn for when you get back

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Taso - those are good tips.

I wish I could take off for 2 months - I just wouldn't have a job when I got back.....

ReplyQuote
(@globetro)
Estimable Member

Yeah, I worry about the vacation thing too. I figure I can brush up on some theory stuff during my vacation, and hope that some time off from practicing will help give my brain some time to gel all the new stuff I've been learning.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

I was asleep for 2 months and when i woke up and started playing again after proberly 4 or 5 months i dont think i forgot anything, just took a while to get fingers moving again but that was cool cuz you could correct little mistakes you had in the first place
So no need to worrie :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I thought about bringing a guitar along on vacation.

But every time I sort of mentioned it, my wife gave me the "don't even think about it" glare.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I flew to Florida last week for vacation and I didn't play at all. Believe me, a week isn't long enough to forget anything. I'd suggest taking a portable music player and loading it up with some songs that you're currently working on or want to work on when you get back.

When I go camping or if I'm staying in a hotel on vacation and I have enough room in my car I take my A&L parlor size guitar along with me and my son brings his Dean Playmate.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

If it isn't a very long time, the break may actually help you. Sometimes if you lay off something foir a while it seems to come together better when you return.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

Another thing you can do, if you don't have access to a guitar, is to play guitar in your mind.

There are lots of studies that show that, for example, athletes who mentally practice free throws over and over can improve just as much as if they were actually throwing a ball.

My first finger on my fretting hand has been giving me some trouble lately as a result of practicing "Little Wing" for hours and barring the same frets with the same finger constantly. So to rest my finger, I play it in my head, and imagine I'm playing, and that helps.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote