How to record?

19 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hei.

I have an amplifier, an electric guitar and a electric-acoustic-guitar.

I would really love to be able to record my playing to the computer so that I could see my progress.

What is the best/cheapest way to do this - and what do I need?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Cheapest-

If you have a "line out" on your amp........

Guitar > amp > computer's sound card.
The only thing you'll need is a 1/4-1/4 cord with a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Best-

Guitar > amp > mixer > computer.
You'll still need the same cord as above plus an addition 1/4-1/4 cord.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I tried the cheapest one last night - and I actually got electrocuted by the damn computer! What a shock! :shock: :shock: :shock:

But anyhow, I got sound on my computer, but it was buzzing in the background, and it sounded bad (not the playing, the recording). Is this because my soundcard is low-end or did I do something wrong?

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Well I tried the cheapest one last night - and I actually got electrocuted by the darn computer! What a shock! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Were you standing on a rug while moving around? You have to understand that electronic's do NOT like static, or a lot of things for that matter. Have you ever rubbed a balloon on your shirt then, put the balloon near your hair.............instant 80's look. :shock:

As far as the sound into your computer goes, you have to adjust your settings so you don't over-power your sound card, i.e. drive/distortion. What type of music are you trying to record?

Yes, your sound card could be "low end" but, try to work with it and try not to over power it.

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Once you've got the music on the computer, are there any good software (preferably freeware) programs that allow you to edit, cut, mix, and layer music ie overlay one recording to another (so i can lay down some chords, and then overlay my solo on top of it)?

Thanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Audacity

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Nice one Tracker!

I look forward to using that soon.

Any other little gems like that, that you could suggest?

Mart :D

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Any other little gems like that, that you could suggest?

Mart :D
Go to the freebies section on this site. Nick put all of the most commonly asked for ones in the first thread.

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the answers!

Once again you've satisfied my needs at top speed :wink:

BTW:

Would an elguitar sound better then an semiacoustic?

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

What if you want to record guitar and vocals on a PC? That's t2wo inputs. What do you need then? And I don't have a line out on my amp.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Use the headphones... and you'll have to record the guitar and the vocals seperate.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I've actualy found that I prefer the recorded sound of a mic about 3feet from my amp. I tried about 8 diffrent sound cards played with the line-in settings for all of them. I also did some work to my computer/music room, I put packing blankets along the walls and ceiling. Pretty much got rid of the major echos and was fairly cheap. looks like hell but I'm the only one that sees it.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Once you start getting into mic'ing things, needs really go up.

You need pre-amps, mic stands, mics, and a mixing board at a minimum to do it right.

None of that stuff is all that expensive by itself, but it can add up fast.

If you go that route, you might as well pick up some decent software so you can use the various plugins that are out there (things like adaptive drum machines are really cool!)

Of course, now you'll want a MIDI controller, flat monitors, and pretty soon you'll need a room for it ...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Nice set up there.... yours?

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I wish that was my room.....

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2