Clear all

How to use a Qwik Tune..

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a guitar and it came with a Qwik Tune tuner, the problem is I just started learning the guitar Sunday and have no idea how to use the tuner. If anyone can give me direction or forward me to a website that may have directions on how to use, that would be great!
Kalishea :roll:

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Looks pretty straight forward. In auto mode it will tell you which string you are tuning and light up when it is dead on. It will tune to standard tuning
STRING NOTE
6th string(the fat one) E
5th string A
4th string D
3rd string G
2nd string B
1st string(the thin one) e

So, all you should need to do is pluck one string at a time and watch the window and adjust accordingly. Remember, always tune up. If the string is sharp (arrow to the right) then tune down (loosen string) so it is to the left and bring it back up to center. This helps keep tension on the tuner and helps stop it from slipping.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks! I will try it when I get home and if I have any more problems, I will be back with more questions! :wink:
Thanks,
Kalishea

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I have a Qwik Tune, just push the purple button to turn it on. A little needle will pop up on the display. Strike notes and tune to pitch.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I also have a Qwik Tune, Just follow what the last 2 people said, also there are Led lights at the top above the needle if you get a red arrow to the right you have it to sharp or string tension to tight need to loosen tension on string, if you have a red arrow to the left you are flat and need to tighten the sting tension when the green light in the middle comes on you are in tune, just pluck each string when green light is on your good to go. Just a note if you are tuning a acoustic that is not electric no plug, then you need to turn on the tuner and put it near the sound hole of the guitar make sure you are in a quiet room or you will have a hard time with noise interferance.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@kalishea)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I guess I am not as dumb as I sound. Come to find out my Qwik Tune does not work. I tried all night to get it to read the note and it wasn't so I finally went to a guitar guy and he said that it isn't working right. I will probably just need to go get a new one. But now I know how to use it!
Thanks so much!
Kalishea

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Like you I got a Quik Tune with a guitar....didn't use it for very long though, like Gizzy said they're very sensitive to any extraneous noise....I bought a Korg GA-20, found it far easier to use.....cost £15 (English), it's roughly the size of a packet of cigarettes, about 2/3 the thickness, suitable for acoustic, electric and bass guitars......and fits into your back pocket so neatly you won't notice it's there if you sit on it!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic,

That's the CA-20, isn't it? The Ga-20 is designed for guitar only. The CA-20 is chromatic and will tune to any note, so alternate tunings are really easy.

The price difference is minimal between the GA-20 and the CA-20, but the value difference is much greater.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I used a Korg GA30 for a little while until my friend showed me his 'Intellitouch' clip-on chromatic tuner. I bought one locally, US$50 off the shelf at Guitar Center, and it's a fantastic unit.

It just clips on to the headstock of any guitar, be it bass, acoustic, or electric, and displays your tuning status by sensing the vibrations as you pluck strings. No mic to pick up ambient noise and throw you off. Unless you're humming at extreme volumes, standing next to a jackhammer, or trying to tune while a freight train is passing by you, I imagine it's pretty hard to interfere with this thing. :D

For those of us with...oh, let's say "less than perfect" pitch (read that as "probably couldn't be trained to recognize a C note by ear at gunpoint") it's a pretty nifty little gadget. A bit spendy, yes, but I can get tuned up faster and more accurately now than I ever could with the Korg. Makes learning a lot less frustrating when it only takes me 3 minutes to tune up instead of 10. :)

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

:) I also have a Intellitouch Tuner, Yes it is great and if you have a 12 string acoustic it makes it far easier to tune works on all guitars.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

*puts reading glasses on......*

Definitely a Korg GA-20, Graham......Guitar/Bass tuner, it says on the front...has a microphone on the front, four buttons under the LCD display marked Auto (switches between Guitar and Bass), Manual String, Flat & Power.......three lights above the LCD screen, the middle one is green and has a tiny bell underneath, the outer ones are red and are marked "b" and "#"......jack socket is on the right hand side....

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@awfulshot)

as Pilot has i also have a GA-30 and i like how it has a input plug so theres no interference. its also got neet green light when in tune

-awfulshot

ReplyQuote