Notifications
Clear all

I am so confused... Help?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rmaki)
Topic starter  

so i have been taking guitar lessons but i am only learning picking so far and i really want to play songs with strumming. I want to learn to play missing you by tyler hilton. heres the chords i found for it and i dont even know if there accurate. http://www.tabcrawler.com/search.php?show=viewfile&id=537575&letter=t&artist=tyler+hilton&tabname=missing+you+chords&tabtype=guitar+chord
but i really want to play the song and since im not experienced i dont know how to figure out the strumming pattern or when to switch chords during the pattern or if you even switch chords. please help me!!!

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That's something you should be telling your guitar teacher.
Print out the tab you posted and show it to him. Ask him to play it for you.
It will give you an idea of what's involved in playing it.
You're going to have to learn some chords as well as the strumming pattern.

You want to write a book and you are learning the alphabet.
Don't get frustrated. It will be a while before you can do that song.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Also, there's a very good chance that, even though these chords may be right, the guitarist may be playing something different. Most guitarists will play open chords with a capo rather than to play a song full of C#, F# and G# chords. And this is something else your teacher can help you with. Not to mention many of the articles and lessons here on the Guitar Noise website.

Keep with it and don't get frustrated. We've all been through this phase of learning at one point or another (and often many more times than we'd care to admit! :wink: )

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@dubyatf)
Trusted Member

so i have been taking guitar lessons but i am only learning picking so far and i really want to play songs with strumming. I want to learn to play missing you by tyler hilton. heres the chords i found for it and i dont even know if there accurate. http://www.tabcrawler.com/search.php?show=viewfile&id=537575&letter=t&artist=tyler+hilton&tabname=missing+you+chords&tabtype=guitar+chord
but i really want to play the song and since im not experienced i dont know how to figure out the strumming pattern or when to switch chords during the pattern or if you even switch chords. please help me!!!

That's the same Missing You that John Waite did back in the 80's IIRC. Maybe you can look at some Waite tabs on some other sites for the same song if you suspect the tab is inaccurate.

good luck and keep strummin'

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree about the strumming, chords, etc. I second the opinion that you should bring this up with your teacher. Perhaps your teacher will teach you the things needed to acheive that objective. First, the chords will need to be learned, and then the strumming, then the timely chord switches,etc. Not much to be confused about, it's just taking the steps. If your teacher does not want to get into this, I'm sure people here will point you in the right direction.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YlW1CT8I8U

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

And also realize that the guitar part is not the melody.
The melody is supplied by the singer.
If you played just the guitar part alone you probably would not recognize the song.
So I assume you want to do the singing (melody)?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@rmaki)
Topic starter  

yeaa so i dont have guitar for another week. but i really want to learn this song before the winter show, which is like a talent show. i have the song, the acoustic version to listen to already and its way different than the john waite one. since tyler's is a new version. and i have the chords memorized. just i still need help with the strumming pattern and when to switch chords between the strumming.

ReplyQuote